Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Privet stump - lifted today

+8
Stone Monkey
fiona
Kev Bailey
mike Bat
AlainK
Lee Kennedy
JimLewis
Harleyrider
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Privet stump - lifted today Empty Privet stump - lifted today

Post  Harleyrider Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:13 pm

I just wanted to show you the 80 (ish) yr old privet stump I lifted today. It's one of 7 I currently have, and there are still around a dozen yet to collect!
I know there is too much height here, but I wanted to leave enough trunk to give me (or whoever ends up owning it) plenty of options.

Click on the pics for a bigger image.
Privet stump - lifted today Th_100_0644

Privet stump - lifted today Th_100_0643

Privet stump - lifted today Th_100_0642

Privet stump - lifted today Th_100_0641
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Privet stump - lifted today Empty Re: Privet stump - lifted today

Post  JimLewis Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:05 pm

Looks like fun for someone. Dunno if you said somewhere, but why dig it now?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi JIm. I was given permission to collect the stumps a few months ago, and at the time there was no rush. However, I recently heard that the land is due to be levelled, so it's now or never.
I'm pretty sure that privet are indestructible anyway, so I figured 'why not'.

BTW, did you notice that I'm using the pond plant baskets that you suggested? I'm going to be trying various containers for the rest of the stumps to see what results I get.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi steve,this will thrive at this time of the year,they are as near indestructible as i've seen!
Thanks for the pm,only just seen it today,been logged out for ages,this is the first day i've had off work since i seen you,i've got some neglected tree's now!
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Lee Kennedy wrote: (...),this is the first day i've had off work since i seen you (..)

Are you from Manchester too?...

It's nice when we know where people live, if they are Manx, Brummies, Geordies, Limeys, Oranges, Orang-Utans, Usonians, Froggies, etc. : follow Kev's advice, update your profile and say where you live: depending on the location, the answers are more or less relevant.

This being said, I would definitely make a jin out of the biggest trunk on the left in the first picture: I find it's too straight, and as Lee Kennedy said "they are as near indestructible".

So destroy and construct: less is more (and zzzat kind of stuff Cool )

For me, it's too high now, and you might even have problems with keeping it alive next year if you leave it so tall in that container, but I may be wrong: I' don't pretend to know more than you, that's just what i feel.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:27 am

This is how I see it:

Privet stump - lifted today 1000644a

Privet stump - lifted today 1000644b

Privet stump - lifted today 1000644cd

Privet stump - lifted today 1000644d
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Bat Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:37 am

that stump is a beast ... it will take time ,, but what a nice peice of materal ... i agree ^^^ ,, but maybe more deadwood ....

mike Bat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:16 am

Some great potential here Steve. Well done with the last minute "rescue". It should do fine, with a bit of shade in the current sunny spell. Regular misting helps too.

Mike Bat, Deadwood is fine on the right species, but with privet it will only last a year or two, even with good care.

AlainK, with comments like that, to a Scouser, you could easily start a Franco Liverpudlian war! Laughing
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:22 am

Kev Bailey wrote:AlainK, with comments like that, to a Scouser, you could easily start a Franco Liverpudlian war!
A Manco-Scouse war. affraid Heaven forfend!

Steve, I feel I should take all the privet stumps into safe keeping just in case.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:51 pm

There's been a Manco-Scouse war of words going on for decades, but it's more underground these days!

Some good ideas there. Alain. I was thinking of keeping more of the big trunk, perhaps hollowing it it out. Then a nicely domed double-apex with the smaller trunk, or maybe just a few branches higher up with well-defined pads?

Fiona, I had you in mind when I collected this. It's one of the stumps I'll be bringing to Burrs, although you may have to scrap it out with Monkey Boy for first dibs!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:07 pm

Harleyrider wrote: Fiona, I had you in mind when I collected this. It's one of the stumps I'll be bringing to Burrs, although you may have to scrap it out with Monkey Boy for first dibs!
Oh, that's a no contest! There may be blood though!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:39 pm

I've been to parties like that before!

Seriously though, I'll be bringing half a dozen or so of the stumps I've managed to collect so far, including a multi-trunk I collected today. I've got way too many to keep myself, so if anyone can make use of them......
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:50 pm

Harleyrider wrote: I'll be bringing half a dozen or so of the stumps I've managed to collect so far, including a multi-trunk I collected today. I've got way too many to keep myself, so if anyone can make use of them......
... get in the queue!!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:55 pm

LOL!

Yes. I'm afraid I won't be showing my stumps in public until Fiona has had a good rummage through them. Shocked
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Harleyrider wrote:LOL!

Yes. I'm afraid I won't be showing my stumps in public until Fiona has had a good rummage through them. Shocked

Huuuuumm rummaging thru stumps, sounds like a line from a Lynyrd Skynyrd number Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:50 pm

Fiona

Shame on you, violence never solved anything, except the odd Bonsai dispute over a privet stump Twisted Evil oh and don't forget I am bringing your "Tartan Monkey" pots up to Burrs with me so you will have to be nice otherwise the pots get it affraid

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:14 pm

Stone Monkey wrote: Fiona Shame on you, violence never solved anything
who said anything about violence? he told me it was a mud wrestling contest!

Stone Monkey wrote:oh and don't forget I am bringing your "Tartan Monkey" pots up to Burrs with me so you will have to be nice otherwise the pots get it
As the old joke goes: throw them at the wall and do several £££s worth of improvements! Laughing
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:25 pm

If its mud wrestling then I have lost Sad

Your pots will be in the kiln in a few days so keep your fingers crossed Shocked

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  ogi uyehara Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:21 am

harley rider,
hope this will help
ogi uyeharaPrivet stump - lifted today 100_0614
ogi uyehara
ogi uyehara

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:36 am

Hi Harleyrider from Manchester,

I hadn't thought of a hollow trunk, but it might work.

Not a bad idea at all either, ogi uyehara, seen from this side it's true that the main trunk doesn't look as straight as the side I picked up for my virtual.

In any case, I've looked for such big stumps around and haven't found one yet, but I keep on looking around because I see a lot of very fine privets from Britain and it makes me feel like trying one.

The only one I have so far (LOL!):

Privet stump - lifted today Ligustrum01_080710
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:38 am

Hi H-rider

my privet that Tony hollowed last weekend, age +- 75 years.

Peter

Privet stump - lifted today 100_2612
Privet stump - lifted today 100_2613
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:07 pm

@ Ogi. That's spookily similar to what I had in mind, although in my idea there was a few more pads on the main trunk, and unfortunately the very lowest branch is actually dead. It does have a nice hollow behind it, though, which goes right through to the underside of the branch, so I was loathe to remove it. If no-one claims this stump at Burrs (yeah, right!) I'll start work on this project myself.

@ Alain. Don't give up looking, they are out there! I suggest finding a house for sale with a good privet hedge. When the new owners move in, take a bottle of wine with you and ask if they're thinking of removing any of the stumps. You never know......
Failing that, if you find yourself in England at any time, I'm sure I'll have a few left. A quick count yesterday tells me there are still 12 trunks of similar size to collect. I can't use them all, ferchrissakes!

@ Landerloos. I predict good things from this stump, my friend. Tony seems to be only too keen to take his power tools to other folks trees! I can't wait to see what he makes of the stump I posted when he sees it face to face!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:23 pm

On that carved privet, keep a close eye on the deadwood. It rots VERY easily and quickly. I've found no way to slow it down.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:04 pm

Harleyrider wrote:
(...)
Failing that, if you find yourself in England at any time, I'm sure I'll have a few left. A quick count yesterday tells me there are still 12 trunks of similar size to collect. I can't use them all, ferchrissakes!
(...)

I really like this forum Very Happy

I would gladly take the offer, if only to buy a drink to the tatoed gentleman who made it, but I seldom travel further north than London now.

Next time I'll cross the Channel, in March, I'll take applied arts students (prospective designers, land or interior designers, architects,...) to visit places in the capital: I always include Kew Gardens in the programme, so I can see the bonsai collection there Cool
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:39 pm

Nice bunch of Privet Steve. I'm sure that you will be fighting them off with a pole at Burr's Twisted Evil

I've got a 'ickle wickle privet that I'm hoping will make a nice little tree in the not too distant.
I must try and post a pic here soon!!

Stone Monkey wrote:If its mud wrestling then I have lost Sad

Regards

Andy

You're not wrong there mate. Did you see the way Fiona wrestled the clay at your place Laughing
Love, Peace & Bananas,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next