Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plant Swaping

2 posters

Go down

Plant Swaping Empty Plant Swaping

Post  moyogijohn Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:35 pm

I bought a plant at a local nursery ,,it did not make it.. took it back,,they had some 4 inch pots of railroad landscape shrubs so i traded for a dwarf korean fir and a prostate deodar cedar,,4 icch pots...the trees are about 5 inches high.. what is the chance of them being bonsai ??? small ones i know.. thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Plant Swaping Empty Re: Plant Swaping

Post  Auballagh Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:33 pm

These trees are sort of opposites in the growing conditions they prefer and can tolerate. Fortunately, I believe they can both be grown out and trained successfully as bonsai. Unfortunately, I can't grow the Korean Fir, Abies koreana in my climate here in Southeastern Virginia. The heat just cooks them alive, as the summers here are just WAY too hot for these near alpine type trees to survive. The Deodar cedar, Cedrus deodara tree on the other hand, is not very frost and feeze tolerant. This is a species that is fairly cold hardy as in-ground landscape material. When placed in those little bonsai pots however, it's hard to protect them enough in the winter, even by keeping them buried in mulch on the ground. Neutral
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Plant Swaping Empty plant swaping

Post  moyogijohn Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Auballagh,, Thank you for your responce.. I really don,t think either one of them will work here either.. by what you said if one gets too hot one can,t stand cold ???? we probably have about the same tempature summer,,winter.. oh well thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Plant Swaping Empty plant swaping

Post  moyogijohn Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:38 am

Well I got the little trees potted.. they were so root bound it was a sin !! i will keep them part sun for a while and see what happens . maybe i will get lucky.. take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Plant Swaping Empty Re: Plant Swaping

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down