Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Satsuki leaf problem

3 posters

Go down

Satsuki leaf problem Empty Satsuki leaf problem

Post  Gcorwin Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:46 pm

I have a Satsuki that I acquired late last year. I don' think that it got a proper frost and so the leaves are not falling off. I did keep it inside because I think our winters may be too hard on it (I live in the Cincinnati area).

So, any advice on what, if anything, I should do for it?

Satsuki leaf problem Img_0111

TIA

Greg

Gcorwin

Back to top Go down

Satsuki leaf problem Empty Re: Satsuki leaf problem

Post  Dave Murphy Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Satsuki azaleas are evergreen...they hold on to their leaves through the winter. They are also hardy, temperate shrubs that can tolerate frosts and freezes, need a dormancy, and can't tolerate the conditions inside your house during the winter. Unfortunately, if you don't see any green in the canopy, your azalea is dead...I cant be sure but I bet the rootball dried out. If you chose to get another satsuki, you'll need to over winter it somewhere other then the inside of your house. They would need a fair amount of winter protection in Cincinatti.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Yikes!

Do you see green when you scratch the bark... anywhere? In Kanuma, our satsuki were protected from heavy snow and wind in UNHEATED greenhouses, and that's all.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Gcorwin Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:49 pm

It has a few (very few) spots that are trying to bud out, that's why I still had hopes for it. Maybe I will drastically cut it back in the hopes it will recuperate, but I was thinking it as DOA (it had signs of the browning when I got it)

Not good news, but thanks anyway!

Gcorwin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:29 am

Don't prune anything on it unless you are absolutely sure it's dead. Keep it outside in the sun and keep the soil moist but not soaking wet. Hope it pulls through.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:17 am

Feel free to ease it out of that pot and into something bigger with regular, fast draining bonsai soil. There's nothing sacred about Kanuma soil.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down