Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blue Spruce (Picea Pungens Globosa) - Styling at the 'wrong' time?

2 posters

Go down

Blue Spruce (Picea Pungens Globosa) - Styling at the 'wrong' time?  Empty Blue Spruce (Picea Pungens Globosa) - Styling at the 'wrong' time?

Post  Pavel Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi

I bought a garden centre blue spruce today and intend to style it as a bonsai. From what I read the best time to carry out any extensive styling is late summer / early autumn. This would mean doing nothing with the tree for around 5 or 6 months. I am considering doing some heavy pruning and possibly some wiring now but I'm obviously concerned that this will badly affect the tree's health.

Does anyone have any experience of styling a blue spruce, or any similar species, at the 'wrong' time? If so, did it turn out badly?

I will try to put a picture up tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Pavel

Back to top Go down

Blue Spruce (Picea Pungens Globosa) - Styling at the 'wrong' time?  Empty Re: Blue Spruce (Picea Pungens Globosa) - Styling at the 'wrong' time?

Post  Auballagh Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:57 am

I have probably the same species of Blue Globe Spruce and my advice? Don't mess with it! Your tree should have swelling buds all over it now, and the sap will be really running through the trunk and branches.
Spruce get brittle when the sap is up, so wiring is out. And if you cut them at this time of year, the tree will probably be oozing sap from the cut(s) all through summer on you, (Trust me, it's a nasty mess.....).
From now until fall, I would just water and feed this tree. Plus, with all the needles and branches on the tree to bulk up the trunk, you'll probably be surprised at how much growth you may wind up getting over the summer. These are nice trees. I believe they are definitely worth the wait to style in the fall. Smile
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down