Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collecting bamboo and look what I found!

+7
Bruce Winter
Russell Coker
daudelus
Bonsai Kas
rockm
JimLewis
giga
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Collecting bamboo and look what I found! Empty Collecting bamboo and look what I found!

Post  giga Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:50 pm

I was collecting some tall black bamboo from a guy giving it away on craigslist-but I had to do all the work,as I'm starting a bamboo forest in my back yard to accent my new bonsai benches. Then I found this and he said I could take whatever I wanted- It was a pain to dig out of solid clay but man was it worth it. It has pretty good aged look to it. It goes all the way around but I didn't take any pics. It was in poor soil so I'm just let it be for a while till let get some strength, but I'm pretty excited about this guy. It looks like two fuzed into one as the back looks like one tree and for now I have no idea the ID either

The top part gonna need to be cut off but at this point I just want to leave it alone for now
Collecting bamboo and look what I found! 20130406173113
Collecting bamboo and look what I found! 20130406173137
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Collecting bamboo and look what I found! Empty Re: Collecting bamboo and look what I found!

Post  JimLewis Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Careful with that bamboo. It can take over your yard and your neighbors will NOT be happy if it gets into theirs.

Bamboo is NOT a plant to grow willy-nilly. In pots, OK. Free and in the yard -- NO WAY.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Collecting bamboo and look what I found! Empty Re: Collecting bamboo and look what I found!

Post  giga Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:05 am

it's growing in a heavy duty suspended planter(10'Lx3'Hx4'W) about 6" off the ground-trust me I know the issues with bamboo
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:55 am

Hi,
I too would love to know what species you have there, looks great with very nice potential for carved/hollowed trunk !!!

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:56 pm

There is another part of the back that is rotten and needs to be carved out-so this will have some pretty impressive trunk.
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  rockm Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Looks like an eastern redbud (Cercis canadensis) to me...

rockm

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:06 pm

giga wrote:it's growing in a heavy duty suspended planter(10'Lx3'Hx4'W) about 6" off the ground-trust me I know the issues with bamboo

That ought to do it. <g>
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsai Kas Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Ooh I can't count the times I spent half of my summer doing chores for my old aunt when I was young cursing and hissing to vile mother nature for inventing a plant that looked so lovely and is SUCH a pain to have in the garden Twisted Evil
You can't contain it, those sharp roots go through everything, even a little patch of tiles I embedded in concrete was no match to the destructive vigour of our green friend. Don't ever think you can contain it by anything else than a good container, plastic I'm afraid be it mesh, thick foil or even a bucket is not a good deterrent for this one. An ax just bounces right off it and when you try sawing it be prepared to have itchy and painful barely visible splinters in your hands that keep you amused for weeks. And you need to stay on top of it because Bamboo loves growing, spreading underground and popping up wherever you don't want it and the only way to contain it in open ground when it's vigorous is to dig a ring around it every few years again and removing all the shoots and roots underground till a reasonable depth. And even then you'll see it pop up wherever you don't want to see it pop up.

Bamboo is a lovely plant and I too always thought of having a nice bush of it in the garden, but I'm glad nature taught me about her little tricks before I put one in the ground in my own garden. The upside is that you'll never run out of bamboo sticks, and those can be quite handy to have lying around if you're creative and gardening.
Bonsai Kas
Bonsai Kas

Back to top Go down

Post  daudelus Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:38 pm

I think if it was a redbud, it would have already had bud break in Virginia... How much of that monster was below the soil line? I think to ID you will just need to be patient for leaves to appear...
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:30 pm

There are a couple buds breaking right now but it was in bad shape when I got it so I'll post an update when they open. Yeah I don't think its a red bud either. There was 4-5 roots as thick as the tree, I was dripping with sweat geting this guy out of a solid clay soil.
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:41 am

rockm wrote:Looks like an eastern redbud (Cercis canadensis) to me...

Right now, without much to go on, I would say Ligustrum lucidum.

Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Collecting bamboo and look what I found! Empty Bambu

Post  Bruce Winter Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:17 am

Bonsai Kas wrote:Ooh I can't count the times I spent half of my summer doing chores for my old aunt when I was young cursing and hissing to vile mother nature for inventing a plant that looked so lovely and is SUCH a pain to have in the garden Twisted Evil
You can't contain it, those sharp roots go through everything, even a little patch of tiles I embedded in concrete was no match to the destructive vigour of our green friend. Don't ever think you can contain it by anything else than a good container, plastic I'm afraid be it mesh, thick foil or even a bucket is not a good deterrent for this one. An ax just bounces right off it and when you try sawing it be prepared to have itchy and painful barely visible splinters in your hands that keep you amused for weeks. And you need to stay on top of it because Bamboo loves growing, spreading underground and popping up wherever you don't want it and the only way to contain it in open ground when it's vigorous is to dig a ring around it every few years again and removing all the shoots and roots underground till a reasonable depth. And even then you'll see it pop up wherever you don't want to see it pop up.

Bamboo is a lovely plant and I too always thought of having a nice bush of it in the garden, but I'm glad nature taught me about her little tricks before I put one in the ground in my own garden. The upside is that you'll never run out of bamboo sticks, and those can be quite handy to have lying around if you're creative and gardening.
Really? You think ALL bamboo runs? There are two types of bamboo...running and clumping. Just plant a clumper and you will have the the beauty of bamboo without the problem.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:08 pm

I'm in zone 5b, almost 6a. The running bamboos are not as vigorous here as they are in zones 7 and warmer. I can see why people in Hawaii and Florida go into a panic at the mention of the name bamboo. I ave 9 cultivars that are fully winter hardy, my oldest bed was planted 30 years ago. It is wonderful, but high maintenance. 8 millimeter or thicker cross linked polyethylene, 36 inches deep willwork.

twice a year I patrol for escaped rhizomes, herbicide is use full for hard to kill out of bound rhizomes. After 30 years I won't live anywhere without it. Good eating too.:
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:41 pm

Heres some new leaves almost looks like a maple to me? Not many new buds/braches have popped so I hope this guy does ok

Collecting bamboo and look what I found! 20130425123744
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  Auballagh Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:45 pm

It looks like a Red Maple tree, Acer rubrum. They are pretty hard to kill. Cool
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:56 pm

Yep, that's Acer rubrum.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:58 pm

yeah but all the growth thats comming up on this guy is what's in the picture and it a big tree and it look like it has scale but am not sure. If you look at the picture you can see little black bumbs and I'm not sure if thats scale or what?
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  daudelus Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 pm

It seems unlikely that it would be scale... they would want the new growth and likely not red maple... Have you tried 'squishing' them with your fingers or brushing what ever it is off with a brush?
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:55 pm

Maybe I'm missing something.... I don't see anything out of the ordinary.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:05 pm

I'll try and take a close up and they do come off but they don't squish or anything they just come off
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:10 pm

I have a couple younger acer rubrum and they are quite tough. On was literally ripped out of the ground with almost no root and thrown into a brush pile, it started growing so i decided to throw it into a pot and it is growing fine now. Give it time more buds will come over the next couple seasons. I agree that it is probably not scale, use an old toothbrush and gently get them off.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:35 pm

good to know -this is my first maple which is pretty cool, but from what I heard this guy is a little tough as bonsai but who doesn't love a good chalenge!
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 pm

The trunk seems to be a good size which is good because supposedly leaf size can be an issue. The thread by Arthur Joura just had a red maple added to it which he tells a bit about.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Auballagh Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:07 am

These things do quite well here in Southeastern Virginia.
On the plus side, leaf reduction is impressive, they put on wood at a decent rate and I've seen that some pretty big pruning wounds inflicted on them during initial styling work, will heal well and callous over quite rapidly. And, like I said earlier....
"They are pretty hard to kill"
Non-fussy, robust trees to work with as material when you're starting out in bonsai, are really nice qualities to have!
-
On the negative side, I've noted that Acer rubrum can get away from you really fast when developing ramification and finer structure. When kept healthy and well maintained, they want to really grow fast! Long internodes, course growth and some pretty big leaves are the consequences you will definitely pay with this species, if you neglect them during the growing season and don't stay on top of regular grooming chores.... Embarassed
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:33 am

My guess would be Norway maple. Very common urban street tree here. The sap of Norway maple is milky white, later this spring or early summer, when you have more leaves, break one off and check the color of the sap. Red maple and sugar maple have clear sap.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next