Ficus telephone pole in a pot progression.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ficus telephone pole in a pot progression.

Post  lennard on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:55 pm

The tree in December 2009:

The tree was grown in a very small garden directly above a drain pipe so it had to be removed. I was just starting in bonsai and decided that the tree was worth experimenting on because it had a nice nebari. In January 2011 I opened up the surface roots and did some work on them:

I air layered the tree not to waste material but I realized soon that I was wasting a lot of time that could have gone into developing the lower trunk. In June 2010 I removed the air layer and ringbarked the tree. To be realistic a slanted cut will not have worked in this material because it would have taken forever to grow over and if I wanted to achieve a grown over wound the tree would have been too big at the end. At that stage I decided on a natural open umbrella big tree Ficus style. The tree sprouted growth on the wound caused by the ringbark and not from latent buds- doing some research I learned a lot about auxins and meristematic growth:

Here is the tree after removing the trunk above the ringbarked area:

From that time I let the tree grow freely to fatten up the branches. In that time I tried to figure out how I am going to close up the flat cut wound. I was thinking of bringing back thinner twigs to fuse them onto the wound area to build a crown and hide the chop.

The deadwood in the middle of the trunk cracked a lot so I sealed the wound with waterproof sealant - did not need the trunk rotting away before the new branches have thickened up - half of the air layer died and that added to my worries. I had to cut back the branches a few times to develop the branch structure and to prevent the heavy branches from tearing away from the trunk. Here is the tree today and I am happy with it's progress so far:

To solve the chop problem I convinced myself that the tree could be grown as a far view tree as a focus point in my garden.

This year the tree has grown a lot of aerial roots close to the chop:

The roots opened up the possibility of covering the wound up with fused roots and roots fused to twigs that I can bend back to the center of the trunk. As these roots developed I directed them back to the chop area:

I will start this fusing project in September 2013.

Any thoughts and ideas on this will be appreciated.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum