Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New trees....any good?

4 posters

Go down

New trees....any good? Empty New trees....any good?

Post  Craig Hartley Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi. Just been to a garden center in Burnley. I purchased 2 trees that were being sold off. They are both Prunas. One is Prunus Kojo no mai and the second one is Prunus Lusitanica. I paid £4 for Kojo and £2 for Lusitanica. I think they have potential but would welcome the thoughts of more experienced members. I also found out about a Bonsai Society close to where I live in Accrington http://www.accringtonbonsai.co.uk They meet once a month and on May 5th and 6th are holding an exhibition at Townley Garden Center in Burnley that includes demonstrations etc.

New trees....any good? 8626868257_70830062d9_z
Prunas Lusitanica A by Craig Hartley, on Flickr

New trees....any good? 8627977896_c59c3c3cd3_z
Prunus Lusatanica B by Craig Hartley, on Flickr

New trees....any good? 8627977622_a39de6b8c7_z
Prunus Kojo-no-mai A by Craig Hartley, on Flickr

New trees....any good? 8626867243_457d29e444_z
Prunus Kojo-no-mai by Craig Hartley, on Flickr

New trees....any good? 8626866725_84bd06af4e_z
Prunus Kojo-no-mai by Craig Hartley, on Flickr

Regards
Craig
Craig Hartley
Craig Hartley

Back to top Go down

New trees....any good? Empty Re: New trees....any good?

Post  fiona Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:19 pm

The Kojo-no-mai has good potential. They tend to do their own thing as far as growth is concerned but that one has a good shape to start with. Can I ask what size it is as I'm not getting a clear idea from the pic. I have a K-n-M coming through at the moment and I'd advise you to do what I have done which is to plant it out in your garden for a while. Mine had been planted out for about five years and had grown to a thick trunk. I had kept it low as well. That is, of course, if you want a bigger tree rather than a small shohin or mame one. I will be posting a pic of my larger one once it flowers -we are way behind up here and it is only just now coming into flower.

I don't have any experience of Prunus lusitanica but I'd think it is worth doing similar with. I have seen some nice sculptured ones as niwaki (example here). I know they are used in bonsai in hotter climates so maybe someone from there has grown one as bonsai.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig Hartley Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks for the comments and advice Fiona. The Kojo is 20" high from soil level and the trunk at the base is 3/4" thick. I was thinking of working on this now to create a small sized tree. I have found a few pics online for ideas. The Lusitanica is one I will be experimenting with...lol

Regards
Craig
Craig Hartley
Craig Hartley

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi craigh

I know the Kojo no mai, it is a nice tree to work with...does not really give any problems.
I found a nice thing about this prunus...I does fuse very well, also to a stone. just like the japanese buerginianum maple does.
I have seen it on branches, so my guess is, the roots will easily do the same.
Maybe not for your trees, as they are now, but it is worth thinking about, when creating a tree in the future....

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Kojo no mai is a good species, but it grow very slowly, Flowers of KOJO NO MAI grafted on prunus mahaleb ,
with graft ( approach grafting ) on a vigorous species , the growing is more fast

[img]New trees....any good? Dscn1811[/img]
[img]New trees....any good? Dscn1810[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  tap pi lu Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:45 am

with only a minute of time, I have been viewing your results.
with you, I know that you have struggled 10 years to take care of it.
very nice tree. Thank you pots
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig Hartley Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks for the comments folks and abcd that is a lovely tree.

Regards
craig
Craig Hartley
Craig Hartley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down