Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help Identifying This Rescue Please

+2
MrFancyPlants
LadyKami
6 posters

Go down

Help Identifying This Rescue Please Empty Help Identifying This Rescue Please

Post  LadyKami Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:09 am

Hi All
Noobi bonsai person here with my first post. I recently visited a non- bonsai nursery and they had this guy in a pot of waterlogged mud, half dead. The lady practically threw it at me for $10 and had no clue about what it is. I've posted a before and after pic (tho there's only a slight difference). I was hoping someone would be able to tell from the roots what kind it is? I've only recently seen some new growth, I've had him for maybe a week? Might be a bit early to tell, but I loved the look of the roots and thought I'd give it a go trying to save him.

-Kami
PS Hope the links work : /
New to this.

[img]Help Identifying This Rescue Please Before10[/img]

[img]Help Identifying This Rescue Please After_10[/img]

LadyKami

Back to top Go down

Help Identifying This Rescue Please Empty Re: Help Identifying This Rescue Please

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:39 am

Hard to tell, but I am guessing Nandina domestica. Does it have any full sized leaves?
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Help Identifying This Rescue Please Empty Re: Help Identifying This Rescue Please

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:49 am

Its either a Nandina or a variety of Mahonia IMHO. I tend towards the Nandina...
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:11 am

Hello Lady! Welcome to IBC!

Yes, it is a bit early to identify your plant with surety, but… it does have opposite leaves which suggest a maple. Could be a Trident, but I can’t tell as yet. Once the leaves have expanded post again and maybe we can be more certain.

As yet, it is a little undeveloped to deserve “bonsai” treatment. It may have potential once it has grown into its own a bit. Give it a few years with good root room and plentiful top growth and its true potential will be revealed. (Here’s a secret – it’s all in the trunk – if there is no “There there” (to borrow a phrase from Gertrude Stein) – then there is no “bonsai” there.) This might be hard to hear, but let me assure you – I wish someone had been straightforward with me a decade (or much more) ago with regard to the true bonsai potential of plant material – you can grow (regrow) all the branches etc. of a bonsai but you cannot “grow” a trunk. If the trunk does not say “TREE” then the “bonsai” never will.

I don’t want to discourage you, you have a good eye from what you have posted, but good bonsai stock is based on the TRUNK – do you see TREE in the trunk or just sapling? If the affirmative – let her rip (which means – let her grow in an unfettered environment to develop some girth and gravitas), if not, plant her in the garden as an accent or give her to a neighbor. (And don’t underestimate horticultural acts of kindness – you may come to reclaim them .)

I hope my candor was not off-putting!
Yours in bonsai
David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:21 am

It's already putting out leaves. It's a nandina.

Welcome!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:41 am

Hello all! Several have suggested Nandina as the genus for Lady’s plant – however the leaves are clearly opposite and the leaves of Nandina are alternate. I do not think that this specimen is an Araliacea, I think it is an Aceracea. However, certain identification at this stage is uncertain at best! Thanks all! Please take no offense to the disagreement – I would be happy to be proven incorrect!

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaimeister Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:51 am

Bark looks more like a Mahonia sp. to me than nandina.
bonsaimeister
bonsaimeister

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyKami Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:50 am

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies. At least now I have some names I can research and see if they match up in the months to come. ^^

David, I'm somewhat uncertain how to take your post (not because I'm insulted or anything, the internet is just a bit difficult to interpret sometimes). I'm just unsure really about what you meant. Are you saying that its just a normal plant that will never be a bonsai or that its not a bonsai yet because its still a sapling? Or that it'll be a dodgy sort of bonsai at best? I think given how well barked the trunk is that this plant is much further along than sapling, but given that it has to recover and 'try again' I don't really know what to think about it. Either way I'll care for it as best I know how (and as a beginner bonsai lady, this may be to its detriment) and won't be giving him to neighbours ^.^

Thanks all, and if you have any more input for a nooblie bonsai-er (is there an actual term for this?) I would love to hear from you.
-Kami

LadyKami

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:26 pm

David Brunner wrote:Hello all! Several have suggested Nandina as the genus for Lady’s plant – however the leaves are clearly opposite and the leaves of Nandina are alternate. I do not think that this specimen is an Araliacea, I think it is an Aceracea. However, certain identification at this stage is uncertain at best! Thanks all! Please take no offense to the disagreement – I would be happy to be proven incorrect!

David, I think you're confused. What you're seeing as "opposite leaves" are actually the petioles of nandina's compound leaves. Yes, nandina leaves are alternate on the stem (you can clearly see this on the stems pictured), but the leaflets are opposite on individual leaves.

And the bark looks exactly like the nandina in my yard.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:04 pm

I think what david was getting at is, and assuming it is indeed nandina, is that the growth patterns for nandina with it's compound leaves and severe apical dominance, it is difficult material to make convincing traditional bonsai. That being said, there are a few convincing examples out there. And, it could be great material for learning the basics of bonsai husbandry. Plus you have some back budding down low, which is a step in the right direction, so I say give it a go.
It seems to be weakened but recovering, so probably best not to mess with the roots until it has recovered further. You've correctly noted that it's condition is likely south due to soggy conditions so be very carful with the watering.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:23 pm

This is true. Nandina (nan-ten) and Ardisia (man-ryo) are popular potted plants, or planted near the entrance of the home as a good luck charms. The red berries are seen as a symbol of wealth and good fortune.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Help Identifying This Rescue Please Empty Update

Post  LadyKami Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi All

There's been some further growth so I thought I'd post an updated picture if anyone is interested. Smile
-Kami

[img]Help Identifying This Rescue Please After_15[/img]

LadyKami

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down