Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EARLY SPRING IN ROCHESTER, NY

+5
drgonzo
rockm
AboveBeyond
Khaimraj Seepersad
William N. Valavanis
9 posters

Go down

EARLY SPRING IN ROCHESTER, NY Empty EARLY SPRING IN ROCHESTER, NY

Post  William N. Valavanis Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Early spring has arrived in Rochester, New York

The predicted low temperatures for the next several weeks "should" be above 28F, so that means that many of my bonsai were returned to their outdoor growing tables until next autumn. That is unless the temperatures drop below 20F. Usually the trees are outdoors by now, but this spring has been chilly.

It's important to move bonsai outdoors BEFORE the buds swell and open so they will break dormancy in the full sun. If they leaf out in dark areas the new growth will be weak. Even if it is removed in late spring or early summer the vigor will not be the same.

All of the bonsai have been maintained at about 27F so they are used to low temperatures. Large evergreen bonsai as well as deciduous bonsai with tight buds were placed outside in full sun locations.

Deciduous species with opening or enlarged buds did not go outdoors, but remain in the garage in the evenings and are moved outdoors during the daytime.

Let's all hope the weather will hold, at least for awhile.

Bill

EARLY SPRING IN ROCHESTER, NY Garden10
First bonsai out for the season

EARLY SPRING IN ROCHESTER, NY Garden11
More bonsai outdoors

EARLY SPRING IN ROCHESTER, NY Dorman10
Deciduous dormant vegetative buds able to withstand low temperatures.

EARLY SPRING IN ROCHESTER, NY Openin10
Opening vegetative buds which will be damaged by low temperatures.

William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

EARLY SPRING IN ROCHESTER, NY Empty Re: EARLY SPRING IN ROCHESTER, NY

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:09 pm

Mr.Valavanis,

always impressive. Interesting how buds breaking out look the same the world over. My no local name, red of leaf tree is budding with leaf and flower.
Thanks for showing.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:37 pm

Bill,

Thanks for the springtime tip; with the information you provided, hopefully others won't learn the hard way as I did last year in spring. The bottom line is that the new spring leaves are very fragile and should be kept above freezing.

I am planning on bringing my trees out on the benches by the first week of April (when night-time temp. will have stabilized above 33F). Until then the night-time temperature is forecasted from mid 20F to upper 20F in Chicago.

Back to top Go down

Post  AboveBeyond Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Thanks for the pics Bill! I look forward to the full bloom pictures!

AboveBeyond

Back to top Go down

Post  rockm Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Thanks Bill,

I've been doing what you're doing on a much much smaller scale Very Happy Moving Japanese maples that decided to leaf out in early March in and out of the basement. Thankfully, the persistent cold weather has kept most of the other trees in check. I have never trusted early March warm ups and try to keep everything as cold as possible for as long as possible, with an eye to having them break in early to mid April. Sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn't...

rockm

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:14 pm

I have said to a few folks that I was glad this year that we have avoided the early March warm up that caused such consternation Last season. I remember Bill's thread from last spring with all those trees that had to get moved out, then moved back in, every night. I suspect most of us up this way were doing that little dance too, I sure was.

Don't get me wrong, I cant wait for spring, I just want it to really be sure of itself once it decides to show up.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Kay

I'm still expecting to "dance" during the month of April...
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Atleast my dance will be a shorter one since I don't have that many trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  marie1uk Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 pm

It's the same in the UK ... snow & frost and Easter is almost upon us.

marie1uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 pm

William N. Valavanis wrote:Kay

I'm still expecting to "dance" during the month of April...

Bill, thanks for photos and as usual quite helpfull tips!

Once I insulated my country house two years ago, my cellar in the house that I used to overwinter my trees became too warm I guess and trees now swell buds and start growing already in late February - early March the time here when the spring is still too far away. Last winter I tried for bigger trees an underground vault in an unheated hut, but tridents surely didn't like it, apparently it was too cold for them there. It seem I need to think about new large underground cellar not too warm, not too cold....Smile

How cold can it be at night in April in your place?

All the best,

Andrei

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamJonas Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Bill, more photos please Smile
AdamJonas
AdamJonas

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Andrei,

April is the transitional month in Rochester between winter and spring and is different each year. Some of our largest and heaviest snowfalls (over 3 feet) have occurred in April, and May too. I remember our spring bonsai club show held on Mother's Day weekend (second Sunday in MAY) when we had 4 inches of heavy wet snow.

Although our "normal" low temperatures in April "should" be around 30F they often dip to the low to mid-20sF, not too good for deciduous species with young tender opening foliage.

Bill

EARLY SPRING IN ROCHESTER, NY April10
APRIL a few years ago....

William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Bbarker63 Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:05 am

I have no excuse not to drive the 45ish min down i90! Your trees are amazing! I've been learning a lot from reading your posts on here and watching a few videos on YouTube. I've become addicted to maples and their distinct leaves. I can't wait until your Autumn Bonsai Festival.

Bbarker63

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down