Bronze Crab: When is it appropriate?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bronze Crab: When is it appropriate?

Post  Todd Ellis on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:21 pm

Hi IBC,
When is it appropriate to display a bronze crab (accent) with a bonsai? Does anyone know? Thank you.
Todd

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Bronze Crab

Post  bonsaisr on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:37 am

Piffle. Don't get hung up on rules. You could display it during that month of the Zodiac if it had any particular significance, such as a birthday. I would display it with a tree that grows near the shore, like Pemphis or buttonwood.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Re: Bronze Crab: When is it appropriate?

Post  drgonzo on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:50 am

I would expect it would be appropriate for display at any show happening in or around the greater Chesapeake bay area?

-Jay

drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaimeister on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:31 am

Todd Ellis wrote:Hi IBC,
When is it appropriate to display a bronze crab (accent) with a bonsai? Does anyone know? Thank you.
Todd

Todd,

In Japan, crabs are used during the hot season. The implication of water is pleasant during the hot months.

bonsaimeister

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:48 am

Thank you, that makes sense. I have seen crabs on pots as well and presume that they are used to convey the same "image".

Jay, I'm not too far from Maryland/Virginia's Chesapeake region, but Japan seems a little far off ... Razz
Thanks to all for you comments.

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabi on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 am

They shouldn't be anywhere near Bonsai, full stop. I'm Kabourophobic ( fear of crabs ), they scare the absolute **** out of me. Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpsG7CI3RAA

Sabi

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:04 am

The Youtube video was great! That was a huge crab.

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:46 am

I now have an alternate view....

when they first hit the scene i thought the bronzes looked great, and i bought a couple.....but personally i now view their use as displaying a lack of creativity by the person putting the display together. it is a bit to easy to say my tree is on a sea cliff, here is a crab to complete the scene. (or a shell, it would do the same and be free). Same as 'here is a big conifer..........it lives on a big wooded hill, here is a deer/stag/boar/bear looking at the tree'...... no effort to make the viewer SEE the image in their own mind....

I think if i was putting a display together to get people really imagining a coastal scene i would still use the appropriate tree, find a nice stone with a few hollows, plant a tiny coastal hopefully flowering plant on the rock and set it up so the viewer can imagine there is a crab or lobster hiding in the hollow. A few grains of sand would complete my scene.......

bronzes look nice on a little shelf at home, gather dust, and can be occasionally used with creative thought in a bonsai display. the one time i used my tiny owl it was hidden in a hollow in the tree - to my knowledge only one young girl spotted it during the display day- perfect, it showed who looks and who just glances. in a similar way i would actually hide the crab under the little rock with the tips of the claws visible if you think the audience need a little help with imagery. The quality of the tree should transport the viewer to the scene.......if the tree is not fully show ready and needs a helping hand with the details that is usually the time i see bronzes used these days. Last big show i attended there was what appeared to be a very newly worked pine with wire on everything, foliage was not even arranged very neatly, and a pair of bronze deer were sat on a slice of wood beside it....every part of the display said "no effort or thought"

biggest problem is over use- a bronze snail on an accent hosta is another cliche accent....i think 'cliche display' sums it up for me but its probably because they are used too much here.

cheers Marcus

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:27 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum