Trees know what to do...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trees know what to do...

Post  Todd Ellis on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:01 pm

I have been spending this past Winter watching the temps rise and fall; extreme thaws into the 60's (f) followed by many lows into the 20's (f); watching the buds start to break... anticipating a mad dash to repot when the leaves emerge. This is what happened last year... This year (Feb through March)we have had three snow storms. Last week my Trident maples' buds started to open. We are now in a cold spell and the buds stopped moving. I also have a Jap. Quince which showed color in the flower buds two months ago; they are getting bigger but have not opened yet. All of my observations remind me that the trees really know the weather better than I do. I am praying that they will hold off until the cold backbone of Winter is past.; I believe they will wait... until the time is right for them. scratch Todd

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Re: Trees know what to do...

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:35 am

Todd,

when I was on your side and in Europe, the old gardeners always said Spring was in May / April and it was in late spring that they did any sort of no chance of frost work.
I believe you guys have listings for the months when there is no chance of frost, [ yes, I have read about weird years where there was no or little summer.]

I guess folk in the old days knew what to look for, sort of what happens down here,

Red skies at night sailors delight,
Red skies at morn, sailors be warn[ed]

For he last week we have had red skies at morn, today a heavy shower, but will it last or is it the coming full moon.
My tomatoes want to know.
Later.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:30 pm

I despise playing the tree shuffle...in-out-in-out-ad nausium. Yet I brought a number of trees out about a week ago on the promise of rising temps and brought them back in after two 3-4 days of below freezing and strong winds. It hasn't been above freezing since. SIGH! Sad

Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:28 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:
My tomatoes want to know.

Now there is a sentiment I can agree with! thumbs up

0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:46 pm

This winter for us has been okay for the trees in that we did not get a long March thaw with April freeze like last year, everything that is healed in outside is still nice and dormant. My best success has always been with stock that is zone 5 hardy, where I heal it in outside. Then nothing wakes up too early. My trouble comes from the 30+ trees (mostly sticks in pots) that I have that are zone 6b or warmer in their requirements. I winter them in an old, below ground well house that normally hovers just barely above freezing, even in -25 F. But this year the ground is warming from the bottom up, and the well house now is at 42 F. Things are trying to grow, and I can't put them outside yet and there is no room in the orchid's light garden. So I get impatient for spring. I should just wise up and stop growing things like Satsuki and early varieties of Japanese maple. But I like them too much. Oh well. Climate zone envy strikes again.

Flowering Quinces (Chaenomeles) are great, very hardy, they will grow during warm spells, and go dormant again without set back when the cold returns. They keep their new late summer and autumn leaves all winter if it doesn't drop sub-zero. Perfectly outdoor hardy even for those in zone 4. (of couse off the bench, onto the ground, and sheltered from wind & sun, partially covered by leaves and drapped with burlap over the whole bunch of pots. I had no trouble with the quinces last year, even though we had 3 or 4 weeks of 70 to 80 F temps in March and then freezes and cold for the entire month of April.

Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:24 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum