Time of Fertilzation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Time of Fertilzation

Post  Martin on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:40 am

Hi,

Does anyone know whether or not it is okay to fertilize in the evening vs. the morning? Does this make a difference and if it does, what is the difference?

Thank you

Martin

Martin
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Time of Fertilzation

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:12 am

If you are talking about a liquid fertilizer here? A frequent advise is to wet trees in the morning so that they can dry out before night, this was said to prevent fungus, frankly, I don't think it matters.

Billy M. Rhodes
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Time of Fertilzation

Post  BonsaiDojo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:39 am

Might just be because i live in Sydney, but I've been fertilizing with worm wee (diluted a bit so it doesn't "burn" the roots) at night and have never had a problem.

BonsaiDojo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Time of Fertilzation

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:45 am

BonsaiDojo wrote:Might just be because i live in Sydney, but I've been fertilizing with worm wee (diluted a bit so it doesn't "burn" the roots) at night and have never had a problem.

I don't think it matters. The morning or night thing was one of those "rules." In the same category as water drops during the day becoming lens and burning the leaves.

Billy M. Rhodes
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Time of Fertilzation

Post  63pmp on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Watering the leaves in the evening can be a problem as it can take a long time for the water to evaporate, this very much increases the chances of getting leaf blight. The mechanism of this is a droplet of water hangs on the tips of the leaves, after a period of time, the cells in the leaf tips become poorly, or die, from lack of oxygen, allowing bacteria to enter the leaf.

Various things happen at night as well; leaves are cool and so evapo-transpiration is reduced, which means the amount of uncontrolled salt take up is reduced. Conversely, the root ball doesn't dry out as much either, so if your plants are a bit pot bound or you soil doesn't drain properly you can in effect over water them.

I tend to fertilize when the plants are not stressed, so in the morning. I will sometimes water them in the evening if I get home late or its exceptionally hot, but I try not to water the leaves. I have found no ill effect with fertilizing in the evening also.

regards

Paul


Last edited by 63pmp on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo's)

63pmp
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Time of Fertilzation

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:26 am

Paul,

that is more or less what I do as well. Save I can water around 4.30 p.m and the leaves will be dry by 5.00 a.m, as we have a breeze. I stop fertilizing by June and shift over to an osmocote type from Israel, which works at around 30 deg.c.
I haven't had any problems so far.

I prefer to fertilize at around 1/3 strength into moist soil, and I use a small hand held watering can.

However, note gentle reader, I am using compost in my mix and it is well decayed, there would not be that much of a demand for nitrogen, as the organic part goes. I don't know how bark bits work.
Later.
Khaimraj

* Oh and I am using a 5 litre plastic watering can with a really wonderful plastic rose. I think it is from China and I leave it soaking in a covered barrel of water.
Have had it for over 10 years. Cost about 4 or 5 US $.
I also had another of the same before for about 15 years, someone borrowed it permanently.

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Time of Fertilzation

Post  JimLewis on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:02 pm

I tend to agree with Billy. After all, it does rain at night. Leaves have learned to cope. My ony problem is an occasional unsightly one in the hot summer -- a potential for a mildew on the bark of some species. It brushes off with a toothbrush. And, it can appear no matter how or when you water the tree.

_________________
Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Time of Fertilzation

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Jim,

as a question, I wondered if it was because the water from a hose, might be chlorinated, and isn't rainwater mildly acidic?
Isn't that why you are supposed to allow the water to age, before use for watering bonsai ?
Just wondering.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Time of Fertilzation

Post  Just Mike on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:34 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Jim,

as a question, I wondered if it was because the water from a hose, might be chlorinated, and isn't rainwater mildly acidic?
Isn't that why you are supposed to allow the water to age, before use for watering bonsai ?
Just wondering.
Khaimraj

i dont think this matters too much either to be honest. i would suggest however to check with your water company for the ph levels...i know mine is really high...like 8.5-9.5...so i have to take some minor steps to make sure the ph of the soil doesnt get too high...

Just Mike
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Time of Fertilzation

Post  JudyB on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:20 pm

The one thing that I have read about watering in the morning is that the temperature difference between the roots, and the water will be less, as the water is cool, and the roots are cooler in the morning. So it is less of a shock to the roots to water then. Don't know if there's any science about this, but just thought I'd add the comment.

JudyB
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Time of Fertilzation

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks Mike,

I was just asking. Water down here if it comes from the Limestone areas, tends to spot leaves and cause kidney stones in humans. What I get is either desalinated or comes from the clay zone. The water never spots.

I have however observed that Tamarind leaves if they go wet into the night with pipe borne water on their leaves will come down with a white fungus. So if I have to ' wash' a tamarind, I do it on a dry breezy day ater 8.00 a.m. The plant nurseries however have a good many tamarinds in pots, with leaves coated in copper based fungicides.

Yet the chance seedlings in the drains or elsewhere remains healthy, even if they are down to a few leaves and totally under drought conditions.

I have yet to see a tamarind as a tree, with fungus on the leaves. Seems to be an artificial [man -made] problem as bonsai growing goes.
Later.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Time of Fertilzation

Post  Just Mike on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:17 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Thanks Mike,

I was just asking. Water down here if it comes from the Limestone areas, tends to spot leaves and cause kidney stones in humans. What I get is either desalinated or comes from the clay zone. The water never spots.

I have however observed that Tamarind leaves if they go wet into the night with pipe borne water on their leaves will come down with a white fungus. So if I have to ' wash' a tamarind, I do it on a dry breezy day ater 8.00 a.m. The plant nurseries however have a good many tamarinds in pots, with leaves coated in copper based fungicides.

Yet the chance seedlings in the drains or elsewhere remains healthy, even if they are down to a few leaves and totally under drought conditions.

I have yet to see a tamarind as a tree, with fungus on the leaves. Seems to be an artificial [man -made] problem as bonsai growing goes.
Later.
Khaimraj

the fungus you are talking about sounds like powdery mildew...its pretty common, and effects a large variety of species...not overly dangerous though...more of a nuisance than anything else...

like any other fungus, poor air circulation, warm temps, and a humid envioronment are what create the conditions for the fungus to grow and thrive...im convinced that air circulation is the main culprit most of the time...

Just Mike
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Time of Fertilzation

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:30 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum