Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yoshino cherry 'Akebono'

Go down

Yoshino cherry 'Akebono' Empty Yoshino cherry 'Akebono'

Post  bonsaisr Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:17 pm

I recently acquired a couple rooted cuttings of Yoshino cherry, Prunus xyedoensis 'Akebono.' I don't need cultural advice; there is plenty out there. I am trying to find the origin of this cultivar. Presumably it may be a selection from the Yoshino cherries in Washington. One source says that the cultivar was registered as 'Daybreak' in 1949, but the registrant is unnamed. According to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, 'Akebono' was introduced about 1925 by the W.B. Clarke Nursery in San Jose. Does anyone have any further information?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Yoshino cherry 'Akebono' Empty YOSHINO CHERRY 'AKEBONO'

Post  bonsaisr Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Apparently BBG has the correct information. 'Daybreak' may be a different cultivar, or somebody didn't do his homework and the same cultivar was registered twice.
If Akebono was introduced from San Jose, it may have originally been imported directly from Japan.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Yoshino cherry 'Akebono' Empty Akebono

Post  bonsaisr Tue May 19, 2015 4:40 pm

This is the information I collected.
Akebono is a Japanese noun that means dawn or daybreak. This cultivar was developed 1920 & introduced 1925 by W.B. Clarke Nursery, San José (California).
This hybrid flowering cherry is considered the most floriferous of the group. It was developed in Japan. The hybrid was introduced into the United States in 1902 through the Arnold Arboretum in Boston, Mass., where stock was developed which resulted in a number of cultivars. It is known there as the Yoshino Cherry of Tokyo and nearly a thousand trees were planted in Washington in 1912 as a part of the cherry collection presented to the mayor as a gift of friendship from Japan. In the 1930s, William Clarke of the W.B. Clarke Nursery gave a seedling selection of Yoshino called ‘Akebono’ for planting around the Tidal Basin.

I now have considerable information on how to grow Akebono & of course how to kill it. I definitely recommend it for the Northeast, as the leaves withstand our summers very well.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Yoshino cherry 'Akebono' Empty Re: Yoshino cherry 'Akebono'

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down