Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help to identify which variety of Acacia is

+3
Khaimraj Seepersad
Nigel Parke
olivierlb
7 posters

Go down

Help to identify which variety of Acacia is Empty Help to identify which variety of Acacia is

Post  olivierlb Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:54 am

Hello,

Is some one able to identify this variety of Acacia find in Mauritius Island.

Help to identify which variety of Acacia is Dsc03820

Help to identify which variety of Acacia is Dsc03821

Help to identify which variety of Acacia is Dsc03822
olivierlb
olivierlb

Back to top Go down

Help to identify which variety of Acacia is Empty Re: Help to identify which variety of Acacia is

Post  olivierlb Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:25 pm

A tree digging few weeks ago and pictures of leaves

Help to identify which variety of Acacia is Dsc03710

Help to identify which variety of Acacia is Dsc03510

Thank you for your help.
olivierlb
olivierlb

Back to top Go down

Help to identify which variety of Acacia is Empty Re: Help to identify which variety of Acacia is

Post  Nigel Parke Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi Olivierlb,

It looks like Leucaena leucocephalato me, on our side it grows like a weed but has in the past generated much interest as a fodder source for grazing animals. See this link for some more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucaena_leucocephala

Looks like you have a decent specimen there, I've never grown it but in its habitat, it grows rapidly, seeds readily however reducing the size of the pinnate leaves will be an issue. But if the size of your collected tree is sufficiently large, you should be able to style it as a medium to large bonsai which will allow for accommodation of the leaf size.

All the best with this project.... thumbs up
Keep us posted and hopefully other members with more experience can share.

Regards,
Nigel

Nigel Parke
Nigel Parke

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 pm

If it is Leucaena l., it might be better to grow the lowest branches to bring the tree into harmony.

The leaves, don't need to be reduce, they are very decorative when placed in the right spots.
The rest of the training technique, you might get from Dorothy [ Fl.] as those in Miami have been growing this tree and would probably have it all ironed out.

The tree is extremely thirsty and expect to use a very deep pot for just a few leaves - chuckle.
Placement is full sun.
Best of luck.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  olivierlb Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:25 am

Thank you for the answers.

First I put the tree one months on shadow after the digging and then I will put it on sun. What do you think ?

May be Dorothy have an opinion !
olivierlb
olivierlb

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Try a week or two of shade, then two to three weeks of dappled shade, then test for full sun.
Generally [ if this is Leucaena l. ] even the stumps with little root recover very rapidly.
But in this case, I would say go slowly, and as usual watch the watering.
Hope this helps.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  olivierlb Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:18 pm

So, is it belonging to the acacia family.
olivierlb
olivierlb

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:12 am

Yes, the genus Leucaena is in the Fabaceae as is the genus Acacia, One of the early names for Leucaena leucocephala was Acacia glauca, but quite some time ago, it was decided too many species were lumped into Acacia, and a group of very similar species was split off into the genus Leucaena.

So yes, Leucaena is related to Acacia.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  olivierlb Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:51 am

Thank you for the answer Leo,

Khaimraj Seepersadeven said: "the stumps with little root recover very rapidly".
I'm wondering about that, I though that root recovering system of Acacia is difficult ???

Regards
olivierlb
olivierlb

Back to top Go down

Post  olivierlb Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:57 am

Forget the last message. I make a fault, my English is very poor.

Thank you for the answer Leo,

Khaimraj Seepersadeven said: "the stumps with little root recover very rapidly".
I'm wondering about that, I thought that root recovering system of Acacia is difficult ???

Regards
olivierlb
olivierlb

Back to top Go down

Help to identify which variety of Acacia is Empty re help to identify which species of acacia

Post  john5555leonard Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:59 am

take a look at the post by ka pabling < huge acacia fornesiana > if you need inspiration that will do it, its the best i,v ever seen . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:39 pm

Guys,

if something has to be identified, take a leaf and flower to your local Herbarium or University [ call ahead and ask,]
Then check with Bonsai folk for help growing and or training.
Later.
Khaimraj [ I had to wait until two days ago to get a flower for an identification ]
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:35 pm

That's Leucaena leucocephala, common name in Phils. ipil-ipil..very easy to propagate even with stem cuttings..regards..

Randy

Back to top Go down

Post  michaelsturm Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:52 am

They nailed the variety. I live in Hawaii and have a couple different trees of this variety. They are very hardy. I collect mine in the rainy season and bare root them, and pot them in the same day. give them a week in the shade and then its full scorching sun. I have not lost one yet!

Thanks for showing. It looks like fine material!

Advice: Don't over work the branches. and let them grow out fairly long before you cut back. Otherwise you may lose the branch. (This is just my experience, our climates are different so it may be invalid)

michaelsturm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down