Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help identifying this tree?

2 posters

Go down

Help identifying this tree? Empty Help identifying this tree?

Post  PeacefulAres Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:04 am

Long story short, I came across these weird trees, along the side of an empty road in my neighborhood. At first I thought they were elms, but then I noticed the strange leaf pattern, and then the even stranger samara/fruit thingies. I don't know if it's a native species, but I'd appreciate an ID if anybody has one.

The leaf layout.
Help identifying this tree? 20130310

The bark
Help identifying this tree? 20130311

The fruit/seeds
Help identifying this tree? 20130312

Anything you can come up with would be appreciated.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Help identifying this tree? Empty Re: Help identifying this tree?

Post  Just Mike Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:54 am

looks like a golden rain tree (Koelreuteria paniculata)
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Just Mike wrote:looks like a golden rain tree (Koelreuteria paniculata)

Thanks. After a little bit more research, I think this may actually be a Koelreuteria elegans, as the pods/lanterns looks more similar. Although I'm not entirely sure.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 pm

you could be right...i had to look up the scientific name for it because i only knew the common name for it...i have one i am trying to do something with, but havnt been able to find out too much information on them as far as bonsai goes...i started a thread awhile back asking if anyone else has experience with them, but nobody had any info...i can tell you this...root pruning is no problem and they seem to be tough little trees...nice bark, but they are a bit brittle...the foliage is going to be an issue as far as getting it to reduce and ramify...
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Just Mike wrote:you could be right...i had to look up the scientific name for it because i only knew the common name for it...i have one i am trying to do something with, but havnt been able to find out too much information on them as far as bonsai goes...i started a thread awhile back asking if anyone else has experience with them, but nobody had any info...i can tell you this...root pruning is no problem and they seem to be tough little trees...nice bark, but they are a bit brittle...the foliage is going to be an issue as far as getting it to reduce and ramify...

I have to assume that they grow grow very fast. There's a specimen along the side of the road which is about 25 feet tall and very wide. Theses roads have only been hear for a few decades, and I can only assume that these tree invaded the area at some point after the fact. That isn't exactly a lot of time for one of them to reach the size of a large, mature tree.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:39 am

PeacefulAres wrote:
Just Mike wrote:you could be right...i had to look up the scientific name for it because i only knew the common name for it...i have one i am trying to do something with, but havnt been able to find out too much information on them as far as bonsai goes...i started a thread awhile back asking if anyone else has experience with them, but nobody had any info...i can tell you this...root pruning is no problem and they seem to be tough little trees...nice bark, but they are a bit brittle...the foliage is going to be an issue as far as getting it to reduce and ramify...

I have to assume that they grow grow very fast. There's a specimen along the side of the road which is about 25 feet tall and very wide. Theses roads have only been hear for a few decades, and I can only assume that these tree invaded the area at some point after the fact. That isn't exactly a lot of time for one of them to reach the size of a large, mature tree.

they grow extremely fast...
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down