Yamadori or Wild tree collecting, here's what is wrong with it!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Yamadori or Wild tree collecting, here's what is wrong with it!

Post  fiona on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Two did. And I thank them for that.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  BillsBayou on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:20 pm

I believe there is a place for yamadori discussions. Discussing these trees and their care will only improve our success rates with collected trees.

How about some sort of initiative where we trace back to the origins of collected materials? If someone is going to be selling you collected trees, ask them where they got them. Chase the information back to the source. Then refuse to do business with anyone who is getting their trees from disreputable sources.

Kind of like "Conflict Diamonds".

The big downside to this, is that yamadori collectors don't like to divulge their sources. When I ask the question "Where do you go to get these?" I'm often stonewalled with responses like "Oh, that's a secret," or "I'm not giving you the location of my honey spot." Thus, I doubt any real progress can be made unless we start blackballing suppliers.

BillsBayou

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:30 pm

L.L.B,

as Will said, some of us have yam's [ not the edibles mind you - chuckle ]

I collect from drains, and have gifts from chainlink fence dug outs or near fence posts. As to age ?
Many started out as pencil thin or thinner, just didn't like the idea of their being chopped to death or chopped forever simply because they grew in the wrong place.

I have never taken anything that could be over 100 years old as I am not sure the conditions down here would produce something small enough to lift.
Additionally, many trees down here in fertile soil can really pack on size, as trunks go in a few years, but the indicator is how easily the heart wood rots.[ need 50 years to be durable ]

I once collected a 4" [ 10 cm ] trunked tree and after putting it into a box for 3 years, returned to the same spot and put it back. I got bored with it. [ It's healthy and tall now, that was some 20 years or so ago.]

I treat a seed / seedling / cutting as I would a blank page with a thumbnail idea, starting from nothing [ or almost ] is very exciting and that is Bonsai for me.
Take care.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:29 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum