Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  colin mackness on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Here we go again,I've not moved all my trees out in the open yet and already the birds are pecking and rooting around on the tops of the pots that are out.I made a purpose built shelter/fruit cage 5/6 years ago,which I still use but this has had it's drawbacks,mainly because it's surrounded by shrubs and is therefor gets too dark.I've seen some enthusiasts use a fine net over the surfaces,has anyone had success with this method,if so could they recommend a particular netting
Cheers Colin

colin mackness
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  Just Mike on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:05 pm

colin mackness wrote:Here we go again,I've not moved all my trees out in the open yet and already the birds are pecking and rooting around on the tops of the pots that are out.I made a purpose built shelter/fruit cage 5/6 years ago,which I still use but this has had it's drawbacks,mainly because it's surrounded by shrubs and is therefor gets too dark.I've seen some enthusiasts use a fine net over the surfaces,has anyone had success with this method,if so could they recommend a particular netting
Cheers Colin


you could just get a roll of regular old bug screen...they also make "pet screen" which is quite a bit tougher but also a bit more expensive...either one will allow water to go right through, so that wont become an issue even if you wanted to leave it on all season...

Just Mike
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:56 pm

use any kind of scarecrow (thats efficient), and that does not kill the esthetic view of your trees.

whats very effective is a paper/plastic predator bird, on a rope, on a stick, it moves in the wind.
But that attracts the eye and i'm not sure you would want to have that in your garden all the time, put on top of a stick thats many feet high Very Happy Very Happy Maybe you could make your own, and lower that stick and see what that does

i'm quite confident many ideas can be found on gardening fora etc.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  Lee Brindley on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:05 pm

yves71277 wrote:use any kind of scarecrow (thats efficient), and that does not kill the esthetic view of your trees.

whats very effective is a paper/plastic predator bird, on a rope, on a stick, it moves in the wind.
But that attracts the eye and i'm not sure you would want to have that in your garden all the time, put on top of a stick thats many feet high Very Happy Very Happy Maybe you could make your own, and lower that stick and see what that does

i'm quite confident many ideas can be found on gardening fora etc.


I keep a goshawk in my garden. That tends to do the trick! Very Happy


Lee Brindley
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  JimLewis on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:16 pm

CAT(s)

_________________
Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  mambo on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Just hang a couple of strips of tin foil in the branches.

mambo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:36 pm

JimLewis wrote:CAT(s)


SCARECROW(s) Wink

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  marcus watts on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:26 pm

just let them - they do no real harm that will actually hurt the trees - in my gargen newly mossed pots get plucked so I dont add moss. the birds remove moss so i dont have to, makes life a bit easier really

cats are worse - they scratch against wired branches and bend them in all the wrong ways.

marcus watts
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  mambo on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:15 pm

I had a bird kill a grape vine in a pot by constantly picking deep into the soil!
I also had a cat "yews" one of my yews as a scratching post -not a pretty sight!

mambo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  Just Mike on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:38 am

marcus watts wrote:just let them - they do no real harm that will actually hurt the trees - in my gargen newly mossed pots get plucked so I dont add moss. the birds remove moss so i dont have to, makes life a bit easier really

cats are worse - they scratch against wired branches and bend them in all the wrong ways.

this is soooooo very true...when i was a kid i never thought i would turn into that guy running off cats from his yard...*sigh* i turned into that guy *sigh*

Just Mike
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  Guest on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:45 pm

marcus watts wrote:just let them - they do no real harm that will actually hurt the trees - in my gargen newly mossed pots get plucked so I dont add moss. the birds remove moss so i dont have to, makes life a bit easier really
cats are worse - they scratch against wired branches and bend them in all the wrong ways.

They can do harm, rest assured. And in smaller gardens in more urban environment they do more harm because space is limited and they will pick at what is there to be picked. In rural or big gardens, they find more easily what they want, less need for them to go picking in small pots.

In my garden its only at certain times of year (nesting, baby time), and its mostly jackdaws. They pick, they dig, and scare all other birds away Very Happy but i still think they're nice birds, clever daredevils.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  PaulH on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:22 pm

I cut shade cloth to fit over the pot and hold it down with wire "staples". Water goes through and it also helps keep roots cool in our very hot summers.

PaulH
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  wabashene on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi Colin,

I have resorted to using pot screen mesh wired onto the surface in the past.

Sparrows nearly dug this White Pine out of its pot a few years back. Half the roots were exposed to hot, late spring sun all day whilst I was at work. Tree didn't seem to mind much though to be fair

I buy the mesh by the yd/m at BnQ etc.

Thks

TimR

wabashene
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  mambo on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi Colin,

Just out of curiosity, which solution did you decide on?

mambo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:27 pm

How to protect your trees -
Khaimraj




Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  Nigel Parke on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:57 am

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:How to protect your trees -
Khaimraj




Hahaha...Your kitty looks quite fierce Very Happy Just waiting on dinner to land nearby.

Nigel

Nigel Parke
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  marie1uk on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:03 am

Greenhouse shading is better than mesh as a screen / barrier. Easier to cut and just tuck under the pot to secure - no need to use wire pegs and cheaper.

marie1uk
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Nigel,

to be frank she is more of a mighty yard lizard hunter - chuckle.
So far she also leaves the iguanas and squirrels alone.

Here is a picture of she who damages moss and digs trees. A Barred Antshrike - known as Mrs. Khah Khah
[ However this year she and her mate seem to be blocked from the yard by a steupsing hummingbird pair.]
Until later.
Khaimraj


Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  JMcCoy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:08 am

Khaimraj, we have a very similar pest control system!


JMcCoy
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Protecting bonsai surfaces from birds

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:20 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum