Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The horticultural relationship of the Design ratio of 6 to 1 or 5 to 1 - trunk size to height

2 posters

Go down

The horticultural relationship of the Design ratio of 6 to 1 or 5 to 1 - trunk size to height Empty The horticultural relationship of the Design ratio of 6 to 1 or 5 to 1 - trunk size to height

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Folks,

just an observation. With some trees, as the trunks approach the ratio of 5 to 1 or 6 to 1, the branchlet number and leaf reduction, seems to become enhanced to what we used to call bushes instead of trees in appearance.

So when did the ratios come in, with the Chinese or Japanese, and was it a horticultural observation, made by the ancients?

I am also looking at a return to porous pots, as opposed to stoneware. Trees seem to do better with a richer soil and the porous pot wicks away all excess water and at the same time cools the root area by evaporation.
I imagine [ from what I have read ] from the time when in China there was no minimum wage one could cast away frost damaged pots and just buy another for very little.

Apologies, these ideas are just forming in my head and are not refined.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

The horticultural relationship of the Design ratio of 6 to 1 or 5 to 1 - trunk size to height Empty Re: The horticultural relationship of the Design ratio of 6 to 1 or 5 to 1 - trunk size to height

Post  Sam Ogranaja Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:16 am

Hey Khaimraj,

I don't have much to post about this but:

I've heard that the "Rules" were put in place because trees were observed in nature and those rules just make "sense" in creating a convincing bonsai. Picasso said "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist"

Here's a tree for thought.
Sam

The horticultural relationship of the Design ratio of 6 to 1 or 5 to 1 - trunk size to height Small_11
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

The horticultural relationship of the Design ratio of 6 to 1 or 5 to 1 - trunk size to height Empty Re: The horticultural relationship of the Design ratio of 6 to 1 or 5 to 1 - trunk size to height

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Sam,

thanks. It is beautiful. As I stated before "Natural" is for me, the drawn [ and therefore studied ] images of 10 mature trees of the same type, usually in an open field.
The parts imagined into one tree.

I am not a fan of the - happy accident tree - called natural.

BUT I still use the idea of the side branches and back branch for depth. Domes or pads [ though I find most pads to look a little funny.] Stork's leg and multiple v's as branchlets go.
Not much on the hedge clip.

Will send you a p.m later.
Khaimraj

Sketch = gesture / generalised and large shapes Study = intense observation
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down