Sowing seeds late in Florida.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sowing seeds late in Florida.

Post  PeacefulAres on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:07 am

So I recently bought several different varieties of seeds off of the internet, so that I could try growing some bonsai from the very ground up. About half of them required no pretreatment and were simply given a soak and place in some fines. However. a few other(maples, flowering almond etc) require some cold stratification. I don't really have to worry about frost in winter, so if I sow these seeds in a few months, will I have anything to worry about?

PeacefulAres
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Sowing seeds late in Florida.

Post  leatherback on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:41 am

Not being from florida, but frm the temperate europe, Please note that I may not have the best info here..

I do not think it would matter very much. Just note taht even though you do not have winter, often temperate climate trees do need the cold period, also as plants. So you need to think before you start: Can I offer a 3 month cold period when I have the plants. Especially flowering trees will need a serious cold stretch to produce flowers. But many temperate species will not survive more than a few years without annual cold dormant phases

leatherback
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Sowing seeds late in Florida.

Post  FrankP999 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:17 am

PeacefulAres wrote:So I recently bought several different varieties of seeds off of the internet, so that I could try growing some bonsai from the very ground up. About half of them required no pretreatment and were simply given a soak and place in some fines. However. a few other(maples, flowering almond etc) require some cold stratification. I don't really have to worry about frost in winter, so if I sow these seeds in a few months, will I have anything to worry about?
I was not clear if you are already doing the following. If so, excuse the post. Depending on the species, you may want to stratify them for 30-60 days in your refrigerator in slightly damp sand or peat moss. I have also used a damp paper towel in a baggie for trident maples in the fridge. Be careful of moisture - too much and the seeds will rot. I live in Georgia where winters are very mild and can have days in the 70's in wintertime; the fridge gives consistent temps.

FrankP999
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Sowing seeds late in Florida.

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Peaceful.

check the maximum temperature the trees can withstand.

We can grow maples under shade because our light is so strong, and we only cross 90 deg.F for an hour or less after March and before October, but our humidity is variable, since the land is hilly with riceland flats.
A fridge [ crisper cool ] will handle the "winter" for 2 or 3 months, just remember not to let the trees dry out.
Let the trees go dormant naturally and when growth cease, refrigerate.
Best of luck.
Khaimraj

* I use an old stand up model, and have been doing so since say 83 or so. Just for 2 months.

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Sowing seeds late in Florida.

Post  PeacefulAres on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:03 pm

FrankP999 wrote:
PeacefulAres wrote:So I recently bought several different varieties of seeds off of the internet, so that I could try growing some bonsai from the very ground up. About half of them required no pretreatment and were simply given a soak and place in some fines. However. a few other(maples, flowering almond etc) require some cold stratification. I don't really have to worry about frost in winter, so if I sow these seeds in a few months, will I have anything to worry about?
I was not clear if you are already doing the following. If so, excuse the post. Depending on the species, you may want to stratify them for 30-60 days in your refrigerator in slightly damp sand or peat moss. I have also used a damp paper towel in a baggie for trident maples in the fridge. Be careful of moisture - too much and the seeds will rot. I live in Georgia where winters are very mild and can have days in the 70's in wintertime; the fridge gives consistent temps.

Yeah, I'm going to stratify the seeds that need it. That's why I'm going to be sowing them pretty late.

PeacefulAres
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Sowing seeds late in Florida.

Post  Just Mike on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:14 pm

i would wait till next year for the maples atleast...

Just Mike
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Sowing seeds late in Florida.

Post  PeacefulAres on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Just Mike wrote:i would wait till next year for the maples atleast...

Why is that?

PeacefulAres
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Sowing seeds late in Florida.

Post  Just Mike on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:13 am

well...because by the time you are done with the stratification and germination process and they start to poke their tender little heads out of the soil and have tender little roots, you will find yourself in late spring or the beginning part of summer and are going to be dealing with some strong sun and high temps...which are harsh conditions for little baby maples...so, you will look for a nice place in the shade or something protected from the elements where they will get leggy and have mediocre growth...then, they will go into a semi-dormant state during the hottest part of summer, and they will just linger on the rest of the season...




Just Mike
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Sowing seeds late in Florida.

Post  PeacefulAres on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:30 am

Just Mike wrote:well...because by the time you are done with the stratification and germination process and they start to poke their tender little heads out of the soil and have tender little roots, you will find yourself in late spring or the beginning part of summer and are going to be dealing with some strong sun and high temps...which are harsh conditions for little baby maples...so, you will look for a nice place in the shade or something protected from the elements where they will get leggy and have mediocre growth...then, they will go into a semi-dormant state during the hottest part of summer, and they will just linger on the rest of the season...




I can see why that would be a problem, and I do appreciate your advice. However, I got these seeds fairly cheap, and I could always buy more this fall. I have a spot that gets partial sun during the afternoon and full sun during from around 2:30 pm until sunset. Maybe I'll try setting them there.


PeacefulAres
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Sowing seeds late in Florida.

Post  Just Mike on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:23 am

you want pretty much the exact opposite...morning sun and then afternoon shade because afternoon sun is hotter and more intense...

also, i kinda dont understand what your question is at this point...originally the question was "do i have anything to worry about"...my short answer is "yes"...your short answer to that is "im doing it anyway"...so why bother asking in the first place? i dint mean that as rude, im just confused at to what information you are looking for at this point.

Just Mike
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Sowing seeds late in Florida.

Post  PeacefulAres on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:45 am

Just Mike wrote:you want pretty much the exact opposite...morning sun and then afternoon shade because afternoon sun is hotter and more intense...

also, i kinda dont understand what your question is at this point...originally the question was "do i have anything to worry about"...my short answer is "yes"...your short answer to that is "im doing it anyway"...so why bother asking in the first place? i dint mean that as rude, im just confused at to what information you are looking for at this point.

The area I'm talking about gets sun in the morning, little to no sun from about 10 am until after 2-3 pm. It's where I keep my azaleas and they are doing fine in that spot.

And I was asking more or less if there was a likelihood of the plants dying. You're telling me that the growth might not be advantages. So my options are to plant the seeds and get something that might not be all that great, or sit on the seeds until the fall and get nothing. Seems like a no brainer to me.

PeacefulAres
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Sowing seeds late in Florida.

Post  Just Mike on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:49 pm

ok...so lets start here...do you know when the seeds where harvested? or how they were stored? basically, if the maple seeds where fresh from the fall, and then stored in a collish spot, you might be able to just sow them right now with no induced stratification and let nature take its course...this would be the best possible scenario in your situation i think...

you could also sow hafl, and store half through the growing season to stratify over winter and sow next spring...

Just Mike
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Sowing seeds late in Florida.

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:12 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum