tokonoma improvement

View previous topic View next topic Go down

tokonoma improvement

Post  dick benbow on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 pm

I was gonna wait till it was all done before posting.

I spent the weekend looking at modern day photo of tokonomas on the web and noticed a plastic wood being used
in the more modern shots. So I'm trying to find a post like that in my area that i can use on the front right corner
of the display.

The area to the left of the main display that you've seen before, is the new addition. Where the figurine with
lantern is featured.

I've moved the viewing area from the floor back furthur and at chair level. This made the items to be displayed on the left to of necessity to be of a bigger size. The elements were put in, in haste, just to have something to see, so no focus there. But with the new addition what do you think?

encouraging comments always appreciated Smile[code]

dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Re: tokonoma improvement

Post  dick benbow on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Finished up the new side yesterday. thought it came out above my expectations. spent yesterday looking around area antique stores and second hand places to see if I could find any bigger figurines to use in the new section.
here's an updated photo of the new section with the drunken badger of japan's fables. Reminds me of our wimpy who would gladly pay you tuesday for a hamburger today.....

dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:10 pm

That only leaves me with the post to find for the other side. need to find a fairly straight red cedar growing that is around 3-4 inches in diameter and over 6 foot tall.

thank-you to the 64 folks who have looked.

looking forward to someone who may actually comment and if i'm fortunate enough, might even have some encouraing words Smile

dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:21 pm

Dick,
I like the idea where you're taking this. I would think that the piece for the corner could be a gnarly bent piece. Look at photos of Bill Valvanis's tokonoma with the interesting trunk he used. I honestly would not go with plastic, but that is my personal taste. Don't rush it just keep your eyes peeled for the right piece and it will come to you. I love that burled jiita by the way.

Todd

DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:24 pm

thank-you todd. I will take a look at Bill's and try and be patient to find something that has some character Smile

dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:41 pm

for those who might want to see what Todd was encouraging me to look for, here is a picture of Bill's tokonoma.

dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  giangus on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:59 pm

dick benbow wrote: I was gonna wait till it was all done before posting.

I spent the weekend looking at modern day photo of tokonomas on the web and noticed a plastic wood being used
in the more modern shots. So I'm trying to find a post like that in my area that i can use on the front right corner
of the display.

The area to the left of the main display that you've seen before, is the new addition. Where the figurine with
lantern is featured.

I've moved the viewing area from the floor back furthur and at chair level. This made the items to be displayed on the left to of necessity to be of a bigger size. The elements were put in, in haste, just to have something to see, so no focus there. But with the new addition what do you think?

encouraging comments always appreciated Smile[code]

Nice presentation Dick, It's your way, your taste and the essentiel thing is how do you feel.
Giang

giangus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi Dick

I have to admire you....you look, learn, and do what you can, to do your best, with what you have.

I think your "japanese exhibit corner" looks nice, now you added the shelf to the left. It gives it all more space and air, witch I thought the first room alone lacked. Now you have much more possibility to play with exhibits, when ever you like to do this.
I would not mind to have this spot in my house, just would I paint the wall and doors in a lighter collour, maybe broken white, as it look a bit dark to me.
I love the tanuki Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:31 pm

thank-you so much for your encouraging words Smile

dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:57 am

Tanuki...Here is a nice little song about the Tanuki. Twisted Evil

Tan, Tan, Tanuki
Tanuki no Kin
Kaze mo Nai Noni
Bura Bura

Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  stonener on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:04 am

Hey Dick how about a single straight stock of giant timber bamboo,
try the golden yellow verity, which has a couple of green streaks running through it.
a piece about 5.5" round, just cut it to fit floor to ceiling, it has a natural shinny finish.
really like those scroll weights, and of course the Tanuki... Basketball
stonener

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:06 pm

I cut a piece of fir yesterday and it is quite heavy, which is a concern of anchoring it properly. bet bamboo would be a lot lighter, and have a friend with it on their property. Only concern I have now is that I'm learning the japanese only use real wood. I realize I'm not japanese but still would like to have it look relatively close to the real thing. But not discounting the idea. Thanks for your thoughts Smile

dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:27 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum