Ficus Ginseng Bonsai Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ficus Ginseng Bonsai Questions

Post  denysse on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:14 am

Hi!

Just got my ginseng few months ago (Her names Mrs Wise, cause she looks like a person sitting), shes my first one and I have some questions Rolling Eyes

- I recently added stones, is it true that it would make it dry sooner?
- She looses like 6 leaves per day... is that normal? Im in North Caroline, its a little cold now.
- I read it could be hibernating.. how could you know that?
- Are there any vitamins or "Plants Food" that could help her?
- How can I know her age?

I really like it, and Im trying to learn everything to make her grow.
Thanks for your time! Very Happy

denysse

Back to top Go down

Re: Ficus Ginseng Bonsai Questions

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:36 pm

1. Ginseng is not a real Ficus variety. The growers expose unnatural, fat, water storage roots and sometimes the tops are grafted in.
2. Your loss of leaves can be due to too much water and or lack of light and air movement. Water only as needed, stick a meat skewer in the soil and check to see if it is wet, only when the skew is dry should you water.
3. In NC, this time of year you have no choice but to keep the plant indoors but it must get a much light and fresh air as possible. But, it must be protected below 50 degrees. Ans as soon as the weather warms get it outside.
4. Loose rocks on the surface will not make much difference, if the rocks are glued on, break them off.
5. Get a good library book on Bonsai.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:38 pm

I am 100% confident your tops are grafted in.
I see growths on the right side of the last photo, you need to carefully remove those.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  denysse on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:04 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I am 100% confident your tops are grafted in.
I see growths on the right side of the last photo, you need to carefully remove those.

Thanks for your help! Ill look for a good bonsai book Wink

denysse

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:38 am

Hey Denysse,

Let me get into your questions too. Billy is {of course} absolutely right in his answers, but I think there may be a need to explain a little more..

The tree you have bought, is sold worldwide by the millions, as bonsai. And although these are nice little plants, most people that grow bonsai would be very hesitant to buy one of those, as they are very unnatural. One of the things that is done is create a fat trunk by lifting the roots out of the ground. And, in order to get nice foliage, some branches are grafted on top. Often the graft is done very rough and you can clearly see the grafting point. If you want to grow a natural looking bonsai, you may not have the best starting plant. If you 'just' want a nice looking plant to sit in your living room, you have have exactly the plant you want, and all you need to do is keep it alive and growing. The graft is not bad for the plants health, and the roots exposed as they are aren't either.

Personally, I would not clip of any branches. I would keep this plant just for the nice. And if you waqnt to get into growing bonsai, read a little, and buy a nice bonsai starter. With time you may decide to work on the ficus too, but I think it is too much of a hassle to try and transform this ficus into an individual character.

As for your questions:

- I recently added stones, is it true that it would make it dry sooner?
No. As sad before: They may be glued on (Which I do not think, by the looks of it). If they are, they need to be removed

- She looses like 6 leaves per day... is that normal? Im in North Caroline, its a little cold now.
Yes and no. Ficus are annoying in the way that they drop leaves when they are moved about. They come from sub-tropics with irregular rain patterns and respond by changes in air temperature, moisture etc by dropping the leaves. Once used to the new location, and if the water keeps coming to the roots, they will throw out an abundance of leaves quick enough.

- I read it could be hibernating.. how could you know that?
(Sub) tropical plants, like plants from temperate climate, have periods of growth and periodas of dormancy. However, since in the tropics there typically is no need to protect the leaves (And invested energy & nutrients) against harsh weather, most {sub} tropical keep their foliage during periods ofrest. Also, these periods may be much shorter than the temperate winters. THey may grow for 2 months (When you see bright green flushes of growth) and thens top completely for weeks on end. (We have just come out of a grey period, and when 2 weeks ago we had a few days of sun, our ficus started to spout, after not making a leaf for 2 months, we now have 1 foot your branches)

- Are there any vitamins or "Plants Food" that could help her?
Normal fertilizer for green plants as found in any garden centre, hardware store or better stocked supermarket is what you are looking for. For this plant, as it is now, apply as on the label

- How can I know her age?
You cannot. Also, it is not relevant. Most likely 2-4 years old. For bonsai, it is not the actual age, but the impression of age that one is after. This is one of the major reasons why this ficus to most of us would be considered a nice plant for the living room, rather than a bonsai.

Some more info on ficus bonsai I found: http://www.growingbonsai.net/ficus-microcarpa/

leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:26 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum