Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fault in design

+16
jrodriguez
john5555leonard
lennard
newzealandteatree
Joao Santos
Ferdie *
mokster
Nigel Parke
Cockroach
Sam Ogranaja
Jed Franco
Khaimraj Seepersad
my nellie
Robert Steven
dorothy7774
Todd Ellis
20 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Fault in design - Page 4 Empty fault in design

Post  john5555leonard Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:52 am

hi jun, no not sand , pumice and coral rock`1/4 inch from aquarium shops, but now i can get black volcanic sand, like robert sells, i have been asking my local trader for 5 years to get some, at last he thinks it a good idea !!! regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Fault in design - Page 4 Empty Re: Fault in design

Post  Robert Steven Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:21 am

John,

You can get the vulcanic soil from Montri, he is importing a lots from Indonesia.
I think you'd better change to a smaller pot now before the roots system fill the whole pot, otherwise you may have problem with root prunning later.
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  MegaMind Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Billion thanks Jun and Robert for very interesting topic. I live in Bangkok, Thailand. I have got only one piece of Pemphis. There are so many way here in Thailand to grow that tree and I am not sure which one is correct. Some spray foliage with sea water but someone not. Someone use black volcanic sand from Indonesia but someone use small pieces of coconut bark. They are seem to be healthy for me. Anyway, I am not expert on Pemphis.

Dear John
If you would like to get black volcanic sand, you can buy them at JJ market on Wednesday. They sale at 150 Baht per pack (10 or 14 Kg/pack, I am not sure). In case you can not go to JJ market, you can contact me via my FB or email here. Jai Tonhongsa or tammadha@gmail.com

Best regards
MegaMind
MegaMind
MegaMind

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:37 am

hi robert/jun , i will go and choose a new pot today, i love buying new pots and my local bonsai shop has some good quality imported pots . the pemphis has recently been pruned back would i be better to wait a few weeks until it recovers and then change the pot or is it ok to do it now ? . i can get the volcanic sand in my town now,my local shop has it. it is from montri . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  noodledude Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:26 am

This has been a great thread. Its always wonderful to learn new methods and to benefit from others experience and knowledge. I just want to say thanks to everyone that posted. Any information is more than i had. Very Happy

noodledude

noodledude

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:56 am

john5555leonard wrote:hi robert/jun , i will go and choose a new pot today, i love buying new pots and my local bonsai shop has some good quality imported pots . the pemphis has recently been pruned back would i be better to wait a few weeks until it recovers and then change the pot or is it ok to do it now ? . i can get the volcanic sand in my town now,my local shop has it. it is from montri . regards john

It's better to wait till it recover to a very healthy stage. Remember, try your best to not disburb the roots system as you can. Good luck.. sunny
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:24 am

thanks robert , i hope you are joking about the good luck comment , regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:26 am

john5555leonard wrote:thanks robert , i hope you are joking about the good luck comment , regards john

I am serious John. However, IMHO, the design composition can be improved together with the new smaller pot. I'd prefer take off the foliage on the left part...what the other think ?
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:25 am

hi robert, what a great idea, i am always open to ideas, maybe somebody can do a virtual and come up with a new design . it is going to be a few weeks before i can get a pot anyway because they did not have just the right one so i am ordering one from bangkok so maybe we can have some designs on the best style of pot as well . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:45 am

ps , something to consider though is that while the tree is generally strong, the growth on the left side and central area of the tree is stronger than the right hand side . i just thought i would mention it . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:10 am

john5555leonard wrote:ps , something to consider though is that while the tree is generally strong, the growth on the left side and central area of the tree is stronger than the right hand side . i just thought i would mention it . regards john

I was just thinking to take off the left part... Very Happy
Then lift it up a little bit to make it into slanting, or tilt it down to make a cascading...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi John.

How about something like this in reverse, ( right side development.)

Fault in design - Page 4 Dsc_1018

regards,
jun Smile ,

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:58 pm

You are getting lazy Jun..why don't you try to suggest with sketch as usual... Rolling Eyes
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:24 am

Robert Steven wrote:You are getting lazy Jun..why don't you try to suggest with sketch as usual... Rolling Eyes

Yes teacher! Don't give me an "F" grade yet...hehe. I'll try again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:24 am

Hi John and Robert.

Something like this. Wink

Fault in design - Page 4 Dsc_1210

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:00 am

hi jun, not bad for a start Very Happy so that is taking off most of the deadwood on the right side ? i have no problem with that at all because it is behind the foliage and i have never been completely happy with it . i need ideas for the pot , i was thinking of something fairly deep , say 15 to 20 cm to give it a semi cascade design. the pot has to be 50 cm from front to back to allow for a large root at the back so i was thinking 65 cm wide by 50 by 15/20 deep in an oval what do you think ??? also if i go for a semi cascade the lower right branch needs developing and it is fairly big already . so sharpen your pencil again affraid affraid

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:26 am

John,
Semi cascade will work of course, but with that huge massive trunk base you'll be needing fairly large dropping/cascading branch. For Phempis it will take awhile to achieve. One of the technique to do this is to let the initial branches (cascading) grow upward, the higher from the horizontal position the better. If you position the branches downward in the new pot, it will lost its energy and the upper branches will take the dominance. Another way to achieved a thicker lower branch is to tilt the pot upward, letting the "lower" branches take the upward position, making it the dominant branch...be sure to secure the soil in the pot.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:01 pm

Well done,
Sir Jun,
later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:34 pm

jun wrote:
Robert Steven wrote:You are getting lazy Jun..why don't you try to suggest with sketch as usual... Rolling Eyes

When Robert posted this I was going to write "Isn't that just like a good teacher to push his students" but then I felt our baby kick and completely forgot to write my thought.

Great job Jun, for responding to the challenge and creating a great drawing! Keep it up!

Have a great week!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:57 am

Sam Ogranaja wrote:
jun wrote:

When Robert posted this I was going to write "Isn't that just like a good teacher to push his students" but then I felt our baby kick and completely forgot to write my thought.

Great job Jun, for responding to the challenge and creating a great drawing! Keep it up!

Have a great week!!
Sam

Fault in design - Page 4 _81f6c10

BTW, are you expecting a new baby Sam ? Congratulation ! bounce
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:43 am

Our first baby...a little girl due May 29th...ish Smile

We're very excited!!!

Have a great week!!!