Chinese Banyon 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chinese Banyon 1

Post  dorothy7774 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:53 am

This Chinese banyon aka Ficus retusa (trade name) was started as a cutting in the 90's. I began training it in 2007. By then it was still in a nursery pot and in poor health. After regaining strength the tree was planted 2008 into a bonsai pot:



Two years ago:


Now:





dorothy7774
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Chinese Banyon 1

Post  tmmason10 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:27 am

Another nice tree Dorothy. You really have a wonderful collection and a great eye with things

tmmason10
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Chinese Banyon 1

Post  Hank Miller on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:49 pm

It is a very nice F Retusa. The base is really excellent. Have you considered the possibility of removing the lower right hand branch and slightly pulling down some of the remaining branches.
Regards
Hank


Hank Miller
Member


Back to top Go down

chinese banyon 1

Post  moyogijohn on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Dorothy ,, this is a very nice tree !! my opion only removeing that right branch would throw the tree off balence.. looks good the way it is..take care john

moyogijohn
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Chinese Banyon 1

Post  Phillip Elliott on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:20 am

Dorothy the tree looks great, is that a 12 in pot? Is it in pure lava?
This is Phil from Lighthouse B.S. . I spend a lot of time learning from people, when could I drive across and come and marvel in your collection and ask you you a couple hundred questions?
Every tree I have seen of your is outstanding, thank you for sharing.
Phil

Phillip Elliott
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Chinese Banyon 1

Post  xuan le on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi Dorothy,
Are yours Ficus and mine sisters?
Here is mine

After transplanting in the new bigger pot

This tree was displayed at the 5th World Bonsai Convention in Washington DC (2005)

xuan le
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Chinese Banyon 1

Post  dorothy7774 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:02 pm

tmmason10 wrote:Another nice tree Dorothy. You really have a wonderful collection and a great eye with things

Thank you for the compliment, tmmason10. I use my hands too.. Very Happy

-Dorothy

dorothy7774
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Chinese Banyon 1

Post  dorothy7774 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 pm

Hank Miller wrote:It is a very nice F Retusa. The base is really excellent. Have you considered the possibility of removing the lower right hand branch and slightly pulling down some of the remaining branches.
Regards
Hank

Hank, thank you. It's a thought. Then again, since I am growing it as a Banyon I do accept symmetry and heavier lower branches, There is actually smaller branches in front of that clunker.I need to remove the aerial root though. Forgot about it.

-Dorothy


Last edited by dorothy7774 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cosmetic reason, ha!)

dorothy7774
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Chinese Banyon 1

Post  dorothy7774 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:08 pm

moyogijohn wrote:Dorothy ,, this is a very nice tree !! my opion only removeing that right branch would throw the tree off balence.. looks good the way it is..take care john

Thanks moyogijohn, the trouble with banyon style is you want the branches to develop character and feed on aerial roots for a while. Then we have to decide which ones to take off or live with reverse taper or melt them into the main trunk (after feeding the top too). Decisions, decisions..

-Dorothy

dorothy7774
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Chinese Banyon 1

Post  dorothy7774 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:17 pm

Phillip Elliott wrote:Dorothy the tree looks great, is that a 12 in pot? Is it in pure lava?
This is Phil from Lighthouse B.S. . I spend a lot of time learning from people, when could I drive across and come and marvel in your collection and ask you you a couple hundred questions?
Every tree I have seen of your is outstanding, thank you for sharing.
Phil

Now that I see your avatar I remember you, Phillip! The pot is 16" by 11". It really needs to be shallower for this tree. I will switch pots with another banyon this year. Both need repots, so that's the chance to swap. Smile Pure lava, yes. However, I will plant it in Jason Schley's soil this year. Great soil! I have planted some other trees into his mix, super good.

A couple hundred question at a time or all at once? Wink

-Dorothy

dorothy7774
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Chinese Banyon 1

Post  dorothy7774 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:26 pm

xuan le wrote:Hi Dorothy,
Are yours Ficus and mine sisters?
Here is mine

After transplanting in the new bigger pot

This tree was displayed at the 5th World Bonsai Convention in Washington DC (2005)

Nice tree(s)!, Xuan le. How long have you been growing it? I see you are accepting the works of aerial roots..Funny you can pull down the extended branch outside the container. My trees would definetly "walk" away. Ernie did that once to one of his ficus (Benjamina). The Ficus not only went off the table, eventually it grew 20 feet tall and displayed the pot in the crown area! I am not kidding you. Of course I have to add that Ernie is not always looking after his trees on a regular base. So, off went the tree..and the pot! Laughing

Best,
Dorothy

dorothy7774
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Chinese Banyon 1

Post  xuan le on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks Dorothy,
I have no problems using the weights to pull the branch down with this tree (believe it or not I did not even tight the tree to the pot)
Here is what I used as weight

Regards
Xuan

xuan le
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Chinese Banyon 1

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:53 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum