Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quince repotting

5 posters

Go down

Quince repotting Empty Quince repotting

Post  augustine Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:56 pm

All,

I have a question about the right time to repot Japanese Flowering Quince. I've read the spring vs fall arguments and decided to repot in spring because it is recommended by Mr. Bill Valavanis. So should I repot now as buds are moving (which is now) or after the flowering is finished? If the consensus is an early repot - is now too early or should I wait a bit? (I have a poly tunnel in which to place vulnerable plants if needed after an early repot.) (Note: we've had inconsistent temperatures mild then cold etc.)

I am most concerned with a successful repot rather than loss/reduction of this year's flowers. The plants in question are "Contorted White" and the new variety "Double Take Scarlet Storm." All are very healthy.

Thank you and best regards.

Augustine
central MD - 7a

augustine

Back to top Go down

Quince repotting Empty Re: Quince repotting

Post  Sam Ogranaja Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:59 pm

I'm 99% sure I lost my contorted white this year by repotting in the fall. The last time I repotted (when I knew less than what I know now) 3 years ago, it was in late winter and it didn't skip a beat. I want another one now.

Just my experience.
I hope others will chime in.

Good luck with it!!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:36 pm

I usually wait until bloom is almost done to repot. I have several in pots and a couple in the yard. The white ones have been blooming off and on all winter and the leaf buds now are swelling, even tho we're going to have a number of sub-freezing nights yet. I'll have to repot soon. The red (salmon) ones are in full bloom now in my yard and the two cuttings I set last year are starting to bloom.

I did do an emergency repot on my white cascade quince last fall and it seems to be doing fine.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:40 pm

Gentlemen,

Thank you.

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:46 pm

Jim,

You just reminded that I also have a cutting from last year in one of my plastic shelters. Thanks.

Augustine
central MD 7a

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Make that 100% sure. It's dead Sad

Not sure what went wrong here. I left plenty of roots and it never froze. Really sucks.

But, good luck with yours and keep us posted.
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Doan Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:54 am

Hi Augustine,
I'm sure 110% Sam is right direction go on /the Quince repot the end of the Fall is Best of the best event cut the tip dip in the fall /spring time you will see the root 90% I also been kill some of them before that's what i learn , just share with you all. thanks ' If you have change this spring come over my garden and you
will see what i got here I'm live in VA fairfax City nor PM to me, Good luck Augustine.

Warm Regards
Young

NOTES:the Quince did not like cut the root when the bud flower in spring (will die after flower)
the quince's root sleep end of the fall/ so we can cut the root much you can to repot!

Young Doan

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Young,

Thanks very much

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:28 pm

my climate is a bit colder than yours. If I repot in fall, the tree needs more protection in winter. In zone 5b the flowering quince, I have a contorted white, needs only to go from on top the bench to underneath the bench. So if I had to do an emergency quince repot in late summer or fall I have to protect the tree from temperatures below 23 F or - 6 C. Flowering quince are very winter hardy if the roots haven't been disturbed in fall.

With protection from extreme cold, Fall repotting works well. So if you have a protected winter storage site, you can repot pretty much anytime you have time to repot the tree.

Otherwise I repot in early spring. I don't have any that are exhibit ready so indeed sometimes flowers are sacrificed.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Leo - thank you.

Follow up question for Jim KL - if the "Double Take" variety blooms for a long time, at what point in time should I repot? I'll tell you why I ask this.

I have several but last July I bought a 3 gallon can from the local nursery as all quinces were half price. It had been beat up a bit from the sun and very hot weather so I pruned some of the damaged areas (and it had to be reduced anyway). The plant then bloomed from mid-July to November (maybe 2 to 6 flowers at a time). I fed well and at this time the plant has many flower buds. Therefore I wonder if it might bloom 'til the end of Spring or beyond (but I am not sure). So if it happens when should the repot take place?

I def want to do the repot in Spring but I appreciate everyone's opinion and successes. Thanks guys.

Best,

Augustine,

central MD 7a

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:56 pm

I'd repot in the spring, as leaves start showing. You may want to remove the smaller, undeveloped flower buds, particularly if you do a lot of root trimming during the repot (on large buds showing a lot of color, the tree has already expended most of the energy needed for blooming so it won't hurt that much to leave them on).
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down