Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Misinformation

5 posters

Go down

Misinformation Empty Misinformation

Post  PeacefulAres Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:20 am

I consider myself lucky to have, so early on in my exploration of bonsai, found sites like this, and others, as well as the many people who post helpful videos on youtube. I say lucky, because I think I could've easily been suckered in by the kind misinformation and ignorance promoted by some people on the internet. I'm not going to call people out by name, but I think you know what I am talking about. I get genuinely frustrated when I run into this kind of nonsense. And the few times I have attempted to lead people to better source of information, I have been met with extreme hostility. It's just disheartening to think of the people being set back by this type of bunk.

What do you guys think we can do about this part of the community?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Misinformation Empty Re: Misinformation

Post  lackhand Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:40 am

Just what we're doing. Be part of a good site with good information, and try to educate people. Some will always refuse to be educated, but there really isn't anything you can do about that. It's the old "lead a horse to water" conundrum, right?

Still, very frustrating at times. Seems like there is as much misinformation about bonsai as there is mallsai. Crying or Very sad

lackhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:50 am

Remember, it is mostly a case of ---------- if it works --- for you.

So it isn't so much misinformation as ---- where do you live, what conditions are prevalent and so on.

For example, I am still trying to figure out the why for / of -----akadama.

Some of my trees are over 25 years, and I am constantly checking to see of I have enough branchlets/smaller leaves or if I could do better or if I am going to hit the --- bush stage -- and I am over doing the health bit.????
My mix is locally sourced, and seems to do what it should do, in my climate.
BUT will akadama do so much more for me?

Or is it a bunch of folk who worship the Japanese and will just do everything they do, and is there anyway to get a sensible comparison, as branchlets / fine leaves go ?

Anyhow that might be my quest for this year - ha ha ha.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:
BUT will akadama do so much more for me?

Or is it a bunch of folk who worship the Japanese and will just do everything they do, and is there anyway to get a sensible comparison, as branchlets / fine leaves go ?

It depends on what you're currently using. I can't comment on branchlets but when I switched to Akadama a few years ago, the feeder root development I got was absolutely exceptional in comparison to my previous mix (a 'traditional' soil mix of a type I've seen recommended in a number of UK books). However, it's not without its disadvantages, so I'm now exploring other mixes, that have similar granular properties (see for example Walter Pall's article on soils on here).

My own past/current use of Akadama is nothing to do with worshipping the Japanese, more to do with the fact that I tried it and it was a massive improvement. If what you currently use is satisfactory, why change?
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:32 pm

Still, very frustrating at times. Seems like there is as much misinformation about bonsai as there is mallsai.

The internet can be very misleading. ANYone can post ANYthing. This is true in all areas, not just bonsai.

Reader beware! Be skeptical.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:40 pm

Tom,

even back in the early 80's there were enough articles on the breakdown of Akadama and Kanuma, to make me look elsewhere for soil components.

I thought about the core of my trees' soil around the base of the tree. One day I would have to pie cut to control possible tap root or just normal root enlargement and loss of feeders, so I reasoned that an inorganic core of silica stone/ a fired porous clay would be better in the long run.

The idea being that as the compost decayed to just fine grit or other it would move on, but the stone/fired clay would last, resisting the root action.

Since I re-use my old soil [ sifted to remove fines ] I have noted that within the finely particulated organic material was finely particulated silica stone and fired clay.
Since I take my time and sift my material for soil making, I reasoned that the roots were able to break the stone and brick into smaller particles.

My trees are mostly from seed or cutting and those that are from plant nurserys or collected from drains, have my soil blend at the core. I get heavily rootbound soils at the end of every year with most trees/shrubs save for say Sageretia which needs 2 years.
Normally all I have to do is slice off about an 2.5 to 4 cms or less [ for mame'] all around and underneath. By 2015, I will have to pie cut with the tamarinds, but I recently did one older tree with a complete soil removal by hose and noted that the core was free of large roots and had tons of feeders or at least fine roots.

I tend to watch the tops of the trees for fine growth as this is daily, root observation is yearly and I don't get soil problems [ knock on wood,].

I ask these questions for those who come after us, in the hopes of information being added positively to the IBC library.
Unfortunately, I am in the tropics and don't have to deal with freeze/thaw, though as I understand it, snow is an insulator and many trees in Japan are entered into protective sheds, as seen in the old photos. Protection of this type may preserve soil texture ?

The Chinese use a different philosophy, designs built on painted images, and with that almost anything goes, so even a dying tree, with little life, can be displayed sucessfully and then go kaput.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum