Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driftwood Pot! how to treat/preserve?

3 posters

Go down

Driftwood Pot! how to treat/preserve?   Empty Driftwood Pot! how to treat/preserve?

Post  rob_blue Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:03 am

HI Guys,
After the recent floods here in Australia I went scouting for some interesting driftwood and found my best piece yet! I love this find, its almost perfect in my eyes bounce

I plan to clean out the center with a chisel and then treat the inside with a wood hardener (Possibly earls??). Is this a good idea? I have never used wood hardener, does it make the wood glossy? Has anyone got experience with maintaining a root free wooden pot?

Driftwood Pot! how to treat/preserve?   Photo_13

Driftwood Pot! how to treat/preserve?   Photo_14

Driftwood Pot! how to treat/preserve?   Photo_16

rob_blue

Back to top Go down

Driftwood Pot! how to treat/preserve?   Empty Re: Driftwood Pot! how to treat/preserve?

Post  mambo Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:17 pm

Hi Rob,

I have been using the Cuprinol range of wood preservers and hardeners on dead wood for my trees for a couple of years now. Once dry it states on the tins that they are not harmful to plants. I guess that being a UK brand they may be available down under. If not, there should definitely be an equivalent.
I even use them after applying lime sulphur solution.

www.cuprinol.co.uk

mambo

Back to top Go down

Driftwood Pot! how to treat/preserve?   Empty Re: Driftwood Pot Preservation

Post  jupitermininginc Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 am

The First Nations here in British Columbia taught me to use fire to preserve such things. In your case the inside should be propane torched with a fan tip to char the wood. This is the best way to preserve outdoor wooden sculpture. A wire brush lightly on the outside if you elect to char the outside too. Great find!
jupitermininginc
jupitermininginc

Back to top Go down

Driftwood Pot! how to treat/preserve?   Empty Re: Driftwood Pot! how to treat/preserve?

Post  mambo Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Wood hardener makes the wood glossy initially but after a few months outdoors it goes matt so it's not a problem.

mambo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down