Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another flowering quince

+5
kora
0soyoung
lackhand
MrFancyPlants
Randy_Davis
9 posters

Go down

Another flowering quince Empty Another flowering quince

Post  Randy_Davis Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:36 pm

Just started flowering and thought I'd post a pic. Still 3 more years of development to get a fuller canopy but the color is eye-popping. Sure wish there were early shows in the US for early flowering things.

Comments pro and con are always gladly accepted and fun to read.

Another flowering quince Dsc00210
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Another flowering quince Empty Re: Another flowering quince

Post  MrFancyPlants Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:49 pm

Striking pot combination. I think I would always pass by that pot if I saw it on a shelf, but I really like the way it turned out. It is not too gaudy for flowers like those.

Thanks,
David
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  lackhand Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:49 am

I could comment on the branch ramification, but as you said, it just needs a few more years. The flowering species are really beginning to grow on me. Very nice.

lackhand

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:40 am

I was thinking 'oh gawd another vain see my quince thread, but WTF take a look.' My eyes popped.

That's very nice.

Glad I took a look - thanks.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  kora Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:59 am

Well, there are early shows-in California- maybe its time for East coast and Midwest cost people to organize a winter silhouette type show-this specimen will be worthy. Problem is, that most people in that region still have their trees in winter mode-so yes, its a conundrum,kora

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:12 am

Hello Randi. Do you intend on taking some of the front branches away so you can view the trunk line? It looks like a fountain at the moment I think.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  fredtruck Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 am

I think you should, over the next few years, raise the tree so the surface roots are exposed. These will harden off and thicken rapidly. Clumps of quince usually have "trunks" made in this way.

fredtruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:47 pm

fredtruck wrote:I think you should, over the next few years, raise the tree so the surface roots are exposed. These will harden off and thicken rapidly. Clumps of quince usually have "trunks" made in this way.

Fred, are you suggesting this b/c it's a clump style specifically?
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Kora,
here in Seattle we have our flower and garden show coming up at the convention center. I was there yesterday
helping to set up our Bonsai club's booth.
Most of the material for the big garden floor displays were placed in greenhouses and pushed to have trees and shrubs in full leaf and flower. As I type this it's 33 F here in the suburbs.

I like the idea of a silhouette show and early flower show. It lifts spirits even tho spring is a way aways. It's so nice to walk thru the flower and garden show and see spring right before your eyes Smile

dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  fredtruck Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Usually, a quince, whether a clump or single trunk or other style will benefit visually from having the broadest base possible. This is because it takes a very long time to get a quince trunk even .75" in diameter.

fredtruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:22 pm

fredtruck wrote:Usually, a quince, whether a clump or single trunk or other style will benefit visually from having the broadest base possible. This is because it takes a very long time to get a quince trunk even .75" in diameter.
I see. Thank You Fred!
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:31 pm

will baddeley wrote:Hello Randi. Do you intend on taking some of the front branches away so you can view the trunk line? It looks like a fountain at the moment I think.

Hi All, and thanks for the comments

Will - No, I don't intend to open up the front to see the trunk (he he he - there is no trunk!) and your Fountain analogy is quite apropos for what the long term objective of this shrub ((I hesitate to say "tree") is. My intent over the next few years is to make this a project about general design and composition (pot and tree combinations) rather than strictly adhering to Bonsai design guidelines. For this composition, a clean dense canopy tightly trimmed along with the "Art deco" contaier is just to evoke the feelings of the western designs of the 1930's (simple, pretty but not much in the way of a story to tell). I'm planning on makening another container in the "art nuvo" style and make the same shrub evoke the image of an L.C. Tiffany lamp (I might even include an electric cord and plug along with a pull chain) and call it "The Red Light" (remember the old saying "Red sky in the morning sailors take warning, Red light at night sailors delight"). Or, I can envisage working with some of my sculpture friends at our local art school and make a composition that tells the story of Solome and John the Baptist. I'm quite supprised that this thread has not been visited by the Bonsai POLICE here on the forum yet to complain aobut the pot selection that I have made in this composition.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Hmmmm.....This is the bonsai police! Get your hands up and step away from the pot...there, how's that ! Smile
LOL
I love quince and encourage anyone to post a picture of what they're doing with theirs. One of mine in the ground has had a couple blossum but the weather has quickly destroyed them. It;s such a dark red it's almost black. A friend got it for me and shipped in up from california. The growing habit is ultra straight and it does not do well to be wired. Hopefully I can get a picture soon.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  kora Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:34 pm

I like the plant,pot combination-it would make a great second tree(but its not quite a bonsai in my mind) in a modern 3 point display-just one opinion, but for the purists amongst you-this might be controvercial-hurrah,kora

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down