Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 87th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION

+14
Todd Ellis
lackhand
dorothy7774
Robert J. Baran
marcus watts
mambo
fredtruck
Alan Walker
khat_lp
JimLewis
newzealandteatree
Mark Cooper
Tona
William N. Valavanis
18 posters

Go down

2013 87th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION - Page 2 Empty Re: 2013 87th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:03 pm

Bill's post and Robert's link to the Kokufu Ten guide are great. I am wondering about the pots/containers that our American Kokufu Ten owners displayed their trees in. Were they included in the sale of these trees? Or, were they rented, as Bill has talked about in other posts?

I'm with Dorothy - love the Rose too! I would love to see it with foliage and blossoms.

Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

2013 87th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION - Page 2 Empty Re: 2013 87th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION

Post  Ryan B Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Todd,
I don't know about Doug's Tree, but I do know that Matt does own the pot his maple was shown in. The option to rent was there, but, I believe because he intends to import the tree after quarantine and the USDA regulations are met, he bought it instead. If memory serves, it was a Suiban some time ago, how fitting for a Root over Rock!
There's a little more info about the tree and the young professional who prepared it for show here:
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/2013/01/22/american-owner-to-show-at-kokufu-ten-2013/
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  William Feldman Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:06 pm

I took this photo at the Ueno Green Club during Kokufu 2004. Do you think it's the same tree?

2013 87th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION - Page 2 Dsc00410

William N. Valavanis wrote:2013 87th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION - Page 2 Kokufu13
Japanese five-needle pine Kokufu Prize
William Feldman
William Feldman

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Good question.... scratch I would love to hear other's thoughts about this. I would say that it is not, but I would like to know....

Thanks for the info and link for Mr. Fujiwara - it was fun trying to translate the text Very Happy
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:22 pm

Yeah, thats a fun site. I found some killer blogs when I happened upon his site long ago, on his links page.
I believe he's currently at Aichi-en, you'll see him pop up pretty regularly on Peter Teas blog.
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34 pm

The pine from 2004 is NOT the same award winning tree which is a three trunk specimen, not single trunk.

But it would not be that unusual for award winning trees to be found in the sales are. Many trees for sale have labels that they were displayed in past shows, sometimes accompanied with the commemorative album opened to the page where the tree was featured.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:20 am

The pine from the 2004 Green Club looked kind of familiar..... so I just went back to the exhibition and photographed a pine which just might be the tree from the 2004 Green Club. I also took another shot of the award winning pine showing the lower trunk.

Enjoy!

2013 87th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION - Page 2 Goyo_p10
Perhaps the tree from the 2004 Green Club?

2013 87th KOKUFU BONSAI EXHIBITION - Page 2 Kokufu14
Close up of Award Winning tree
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:53 am

Bill, I know that, in the past, you have been awarded special access and permission to photograph trees at the exhibition. You seem to have even more access and opportunity this year. Has anything changed in their policy or have they just learned not to argue with you? Cool
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:18 am

No, respect....
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Bill, thanks for all the images.

Congratulations Matt !

Where did Matt's tree originally came from, what was it origins?
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down