Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A huge Pemphis....

+5
Rudi juliant
Robert Steven
Nigel Parke
Hoo
Jed Franco
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

A huge Pemphis.... - Page 2 Empty Re: A huge Pemphis....

Post  dorothy7774 Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:47 pm

Robert Steven wrote:
dorothy7774 wrote:Soda, popcorn.. Basketball

-Dorothy

No Dorothy, this make you fat..I like your shape.. bounce

What could you have possibly misstyped..? Wink I was just kidding, I do not like popcorn. albino

-Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:55 pm

dorothy7774 wrote:
Robert Steven wrote:
dorothy7774 wrote:Soda, popcorn.. Basketball

-Dorothy

No Dorothy, this make you fat..I like your shape.. bounce

What could you have possibly misstyped..? Wink I was just kidding, I do not like popcorn. albino

-Dorothy

Haha..just men's words pale Nono..just kidding... Embarassed
BTW, are you planning to go to China in April (BCI) or September (WBFF) ?
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Robert Steven wrote:..
BTW, are you planning to go to China in April (BCI) or September (WBFF) ?

You mean that China? Very Happy No, I do not have travel plans. I have never been to China. It must be a very beautiful country. (When is he telling us the secret ingredient for Pemphis.. bom )

-Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi friends,
Sorry for the delay in my response.... Neutral

@Jun,
Pre, I'm afraid that my trees will perish because of what you said that what I'm doing with my pemphis is wrong....You know what, in my own humble opinion, it's not only the trimming/pruning that would make a phemphis grow better or be more presentable and beautiful, it's what you do to your tree and many more factors that would contribute to the overall appearance of our trees... Smile
As we all know, Bonsai esp. Bantigue of some of our countrymen belong to the high class society (but I'm not one of them, hehehe), and some of them don't even bother to hold or tender to their trees....They are contented looking at their beautiful trees and probably letting their maids or caretakers do the jobs for them, no offense meant, but that's reality. I even know one that he won't even touch his trees and won't even bother to get hold of a soil mix hehehe and it's reality.. For me, as we all know in the bonsai world, that we have to tend to our trees personally and care for it and build some connection with our trees... Rolling Eyes
As for this specie, It always needs saltwater, proper watering, good medium and the basic knowledge of bonsai, and also the magic ingredient which we locally call it Bagoong or salt...So with this, with lots of attention and care, I wouldn't see any reason that the bantigue would die....just my opinion...Smile
My friends who taught me, said that we have to grow more twigs and compact the foliage for better appearance, and also taught me to trim it regularly so as not let the twigs elongate...and eventually would lead to what Robert had posted here earlier...
Thanks, pre for your comment.... Very Happy

@ Dorothy, thanks for your kind words... Very Happy

@Robert, maybe you could also share your wisdom in caring for this tree esp. when the time comes that our trees would become as what you have posted earlier ( hope it won't happen) and would appreciate it much, thanks....
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Jed Franco wrote:..........................................................................................................................................................................................................
My friends who taught me, said that we have to grow more twigs and compact the foliage for better appearance, and also taught me to trim it regularly so as not let the twigs elongate...and eventually would lead to what Robert had posted here earlier...
Thanks, pre for your comment.... Very Happy

@ Dorothy, thanks for your kind words... Very Happy

@Robert, maybe you could also share your wisdom in caring for this tree esp. when the time comes that our trees would become as what you have posted earlier ( hope it won't happen) and would appreciate it much, thanks....

Sorry Jed, but I am afraid that will be in contrary.... However, I sincerely hope I am wrong for the sake of Bantigi, my most favourite species, so that the time will never come... pale
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:56 am

Thanks Robert, I appreciate it much...
Good Day...
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Today, I looked at my trees and the twigs are of good size meaning they are not becoming thin....as for me it's just fine and healthy...I would stick to what I know now..and continue pampering this tree and take care of it just the way i wanted it....friends , thanks for your comments...This is how i do it....No offense meant...Good day....
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:06 pm

Jed Franco wrote:Today, I looked at my trees and the twigs are of good size meaning they are not becoming thin....as for me it's just fine and healthy...I would stick to what I know now..and continue pampering this tree and take care of it just the way i wanted it....friends , thanks for your comments...This is how i do it....No offense meant...Good day....

That's great Jed, don't take it for granted, just do what you believe is correct... Cool

Last edited by Robert Steven on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistyping)
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:50 am

Thanks, Robert...God bless us all.. Very Happy
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:03 am

Robert Steven wrote:
Jed Franco wrote:Today, I looked at my trees and the twigs are of good size meaning they are not becoming thin....as for me it's just fine and healthy...I would stick to what I know now..and continue pampering this tree and take care of it just the way i wanted it....friends , thanks for your comments...This is how i do it....No offense meant...Good day....

That's great Jed, don't take it for granted, just do what you believe is correct... Cool

There you go again Robert! hehe!...sometimes you are acting weird and funny. pirat

BTW Robert, Somebody posted the other discussion about Phempis (from "fault in design") on facebook Bonsai Filipino page. they appreciate your effort in teaching us even the experienced growers of Phempis acknowledge the "fault", I saw several very respectable bonsai artist here adopting the technique you taught us in your previous visits..and they are achieving good ramification results. Slowly but surely, we are moving step forward, one artist at a time, we'll get there. We just need to open up our mind and listen more and be humble about it.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 am

jun wrote:
Robert Steven wrote:

There you go again Robert! hehe!...sometimes you are acting weird and funny. pirat

BTW Robert, Somebody posted the other discussion about Phempis (from "fault in design") on facebook Bonsai Filipino page. they appreciate your effort in teaching us even the experienced growers of Phempis acknowledge the "fault", I saw several very respectable bonsai artist here adopting the technique you taught us in your previous visits..and they are achieving good ramification results. Slowly but surely, we are moving step forward, one artist at a time, we'll get there. We just need to open up our mind and listen more and be humble about it.

regards,
jun Smile

You are kinda scary Jun..can read my mind... pale
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:01 pm

Robert,

The pemphis occurence and the way foliage weakens over time indeed is a fault in design. Also, this fault cannot be solely attributed to pemphis. Many other species, including juniper, will suffer long term loss of limbs, foliage and entire trunk sections because of subsequent pruning.

Recently, there has been a boom in Puerto Rico of using a type of Pacar Laut (clerodendron species) as bonsai. Like always, most have been shaped to resemble conifers by periodical pruning of the apical meristems. By forcing the development of young leaves and twigs, not enought mature energy producing leaves are left on the tree, resulting in general weakening of the whole plant.

In junipers, pinching of the apical meristem will also produce a similar effect, as mature foliage tree will quickly revert to juvenile form. As sign of streess, the tree will return to normal in time, only to return to the stress point once the artist attempts to pinch it and give structure to the profile. So, what's the whole point of discussion one might ask? : finding a way to achieve longevity in bonsai design

Like pemphis, junipers, clerodendrons, Neea, ulmus, pines, many other species benefit from bud thinning and selection rather than pruning the outer profile. This operation contributes to the overall health of the plant, as it promotes back budding, allows sunshine to reach the interior structures of the tree and, in some cases (casuarina) permits free flow of air throughout the tree body, which is essential for its general health.

I hope my two cents contribute a little more to a very interesting topic.

Regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks for your adding, Jose. Arrow
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks, Jose Luis, for your comment....

I would wait for my Pemphis to be finished and when that time comes, I would probably give it time to rest and follow the technique that Robert had
taught us...Thanks Robert...It is only in this site that we can learn how to care for Pemphis and I can't find any on Google...Thanks for sharing your knowledge

Preng Jun, some of us may have followed the conventional way, I said that for now I would stick to what I know since my Pemphis are not yet on its finished stage, I would follow Robert's techniques when the time comes for it to rest and develop again...As you can see on my other post, I have posted the Dancing Lady and was trimmed and with smaller twigs as compared to this one...slowly gaining some grounds and injecting into my system the newer technique...hehehe....
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:27 pm

Jed Franco wrote:Thanks, Jose Luis, for your comment....

I would wait for my Pemphis to be finished and when that time comes, I would probably give it time to rest and follow the technique that Robert had
taught us
...Thanks Robert...It is only in this site that we can learn how to care for Pemphis and I can't find any on Google...Thanks for sharing your knowledge

Preng Jun, some of us may have followed the conventional way, I said that for now I would stick to what I know since my Pemphis are not yet on its finished stage, I would follow Robert's techniques when the time comes for it to rest and develop again...As you can see on my other post, I have posted the Dancing Lady and was trimmed and with smaller twigs as compared to this one...slowly gaining some grounds and injecting into my system the newer technique...hehehe....

Sound a very strange concept to me... pale
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:36 pm

@Robert
Hehehe, Master, what will I do? Since it's strange to you, do I have to restyle it? or what style to do since I don't have any idea on how to restructure it...
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Jed Franco wrote:@Robert
Hehehe, Master, what will I do? Since it's strange to you, do I have to restyle it? or what style to do since I don't have any idea on how to restructure it...

Go to the thread Jun potsed and read thoroughly and you will understand what Jun and I said...and how to avoid. You don't need to wait to the time to come to prove we are right unless you have other reason... Suspect
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t12807-fault-in-design
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks Master,
Sorry for the concept that I know, hope that you won't get tired of sharing your toughts to us. I think this is what we need, your guidance, I admit I'm new to your technique and probably will take time for me to take it... I'll do my best to take good care of my Pemphis based on your technique. I hope I can watch one of your demo when you come to the Philippines...

Best regards,
Jed
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Jed Franco wrote:Thanks Master,
Sorry for the concept that I know, hope that you won't get tired of sharing your toughts to us. I think this is what we need, your guidance, I admit I'm new to your technique and probably will take time for me to take it... I'll do my best to take good care of my Pemphis based on your technique. I hope I can watch one of your demo when you come to the Philippines...

Best regards,
Jed

Jed, my explaination is for you to avoid from the beginning with correct ramification structure and NOT how to take care. You should correct the ramification/foliation since now so that the time will not come, instead of waiting the time to come then to correct; because if you don't know how to do the correct way from the beginning, you will not know how to maintain and what to do when the time comes.

I am sorry if I misunderstood you, as Jun did I think so he posted the same issue in different thread...and that's why I didn't explain further in this thread...and that's why Jun said I was funny for twice (he is kinda can read my mind.. pale ). From your respond and arguments, seem to me that you didn't need our advice; then from your later comments, sound like you prefer to insist on your believe. So....? Laughing

I will be in Pampanga early April and hope to meet you there and we can discuss this issue in more details if you wish...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:24 am

@Robert,
I wanted much to see you and learn from you more..sorry if I'm a bit hard-headed sometimes... Smile I just don't know how to start all over again since my trees were styled the conventional way....My apologies, Master.. pale
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:47 am

Jed Franco wrote:@Robert,
I wanted much to see you and learn from you more..sorry if I'm a bit hard-headed sometimes... Smile I just don't know how to start all over again since my trees were styled the conventional way....My apologies, Master.. pale

Jed, the main problem is not on the "conventional" way, but on the way you set the foliage pads, specifically on the twigs. So what you should correct is the open-clusters-like foliation instead of the twiggy, densed and neat foliage edges. You can do it now and don't need to start all over from the beginning because you are still on the beginning stage, that's what I tried to say from my first comment. Very Happy
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks master, I appreciate it much....I was thinking what would happen if you just let us do our thing, thanks for being so professional and motivating,
I really appreciate it, I felt your concern and drive to teach us, I admire your advocacy in teaching us the proper way of doing things unlike others who just don't care...God bless, Master...
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Wed May 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Good day, IBC friends,

I took a picture of my pemphis today and its doing great..after pampering it for 2 months this is how it looks today.and I'm happy with it....Very Happy

Best regards,
Jed Franco

A huge Pemphis.... - Page 2 Dsc02410
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

A huge Pemphis.... - Page 2 Empty Love your tree.

Post  lennard Wed May 15, 2013 6:05 pm

Your tree is beautifully/artistically styled - nothing to post a negative comment on!

Well done!

May I ask why you don't use a bigger but not deeper pot and plant the tree more to the right?

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 Wed May 15, 2013 6:08 pm

What an incredible tree. I also like the barbed wire security.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next