Sketches of Trees

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sketches of Trees

Post  Jake16 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 pm

I have this project where in designing a "How to" for bonsai and I have now decided to use drawings not pictures. If you could post how you would sketch a tree (be it a new design or just drawing a tree) I would greatly appreciate that. Mainly im focusing on how realistic I want to go, what I want the foliage and the bark to look like, etc. (I only placed it here because I figured it would get a lot of traffic, move if necessary)

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Re: Sketches of Trees

Post  stacy allen muse on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 am

umm... not entirely sure what it is that you are asking from people ??? To sketch you a tree ??? Tell you how to sketch a tree,
or if we sketch trees ???
More detail needed.

stacy allen muse

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:02 am

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oGdVYb2QFRJw4AyEdXNyoA?p=bonsai+sketch&fr=yfp-t-701&fr2=piv-web

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&tok=zCBDMRo_EixAi1d2xENyGg&cp=12&gs_id=1b&xhr=t&q=bonsai+sketch&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41524429,d.cGE&biw=1280&bih=660&wrapid=tljp1359075583150022&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=PdkBUemCMomJiwLrpIGICw#um=1&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=bonsai+sketch&oq=bonsai+sketch&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.494.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c.znYDubMAiHo&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41524429,d.cGE&fp=1657b203e4e26623&biw=1280&bih=660

Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:45 am

Thanks Mike,

Stacy,

I am not asking for you to teach me how to sketch tree but if you do any sketches of trees then I would like to see whats your style. There is one guy on here who does these amazing illustrations of trees and thats his style. I am just trying to get different looks because every one sketches differently. If this is still not clear I can try again to explain, just ask Smile.

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:50 am

Update: found out that vev is the guy I was talking about

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:52 am

you're welcome...i wasnt doing one of those "do a google search" answers...i happened to search it and noticed a bunc of different sketches so i just posted the links

Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:26 am

I understand your question Jake. I've often wondered how Jun or Robert Steven or other artists on here do their sketches. Especially how Robert Steven makes his foliage looks so good. His sketches in his books are AMAZING!!!!

Maybe they can share some tips and tricks on here. I'd say, maybe copy their style until you come up with your own.

Show your work on here, though. We'll take a peek at it. Very Happy

Have a great weekend!!!!!
Sam

Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  stacy allen muse on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:55 am

Here is what I do... I do Chinese Brush Paintings with Sumi-e Ink and Watercolor.
Have my own business doing it and do scrolls for display with bonsai, this is when
I am not doing bonsai of course.
feel free to look at my work further. Very Happy

stacy allen muse

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:49 am

Stacy...those are beautifull man...and your sig style with the kanji feel to it and the seal...very very nice.

Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Stacy,
Your work is beautiful!

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Jake, I think you need to differentiate between sketches which are "design plans" and those which are works of art in their own right. Stacy's exquisite work on this thread, Vev's drawings, and some others on the forum are there to be framed and admired. A very skilled bonsai artist would be able to recreate a tree from such detailed artwork but many would struggle. Others produce more simple drawings which are more intended to guide you through the design process. I think it is this type you are interested in but perhaps you could clarify that.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Beautiful work stacey

Fiona,

I understand what your getting at but even what people do as design plans/sketches can be beautiful in there own way. An example of what im looking for is in stacey's paintings, her foliage is very realistic and other people have very stylized pads of foliage. That helps me decide on which style will fit well in my design.

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  stacy allen muse on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:12 pm

I would agree with Fiona... I am able to do what I can because I can. But this
should not stop anyone form sketching out designs of trees. I often tell people
it doesn't matter if it is a stick-like figure of a tree, the point is to try and express
where you would like to go with the tree, and have a clear thought of where to move
forward. Very Happy

By the way, I am not a she but a he. Laughing No hard feelings though, cause I get it alot !!!

stacy allen muse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:47 am

Well damn Smile much apologies. Thas what I get for half reading a name ( allen should of been a tip off) and assuming

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:07 am

Hi Stacy,

These are really really nice. Had a look at your website. Nice work!

leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Jake: Are you wanting to create art . . . or a blueprint?

It takes a different kind of talent (I think, because I have neither) to take either of those approaches.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  stacy allen muse on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 am

thanks everyone for the wonderful compliments,
and Jake, no worries !!! Like I said I get it all the time !!!
Very Happy

stacy allen muse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:32 am

I am going to create illustrations for a common bonsai form/style guide. I was using pictures, then I made those pics into a sort of drawing in the program illustrator. Now I just want to do them by hand.

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:34 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum