Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First prize (Deciduous): Luis Vallejo (Fagus crenata)

4 posters

Go down

First prize (Deciduous): Luis Vallejo (Fagus crenata) Empty First prize (Deciduous): Luis Vallejo (Fagus crenata)

Post  Ed van der Reek Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:11 pm

A short movie from the First prize (Deciduous): Luis Vallejo (Fagus crenata) at the Noelanders Trophy 2013.
Gr Ed
Ed van der Reek
Ed van der Reek

Back to top Go down

First prize (Deciduous): Luis Vallejo (Fagus crenata) Empty Re: First prize (Deciduous): Luis Vallejo (Fagus crenata)

Post  Pavel Slovák Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Great tree. Congratulations!!

Thank you Ed for sharing.

Greetings Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

First prize (Deciduous): Luis Vallejo (Fagus crenata) Empty Re: First prize (Deciduous): Luis Vallejo (Fagus crenata)

Post  marie1uk Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Any1 have any tips to rejuvenate a weak lower branch on Fagus crenata? They seem to be a funky species ... no leaf pruning and one flush per year. Shocked

marie1uk

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:56 pm

marie1uk wrote:Any1 have any tips to rejuvenate a weak lower branch on Fagus crenata? They seem to be a funky species ... no leaf pruning and one flush per year. Shocked

here is a link to one of mine
crenata blog post

You definitely need to prune, but not fully defoliate. The bud that forms this year contains all next years leaves formed already, so a weak year will be followed by another.

this group is my third crenata, all doing well, 2 sold to new owners and this one on my bench.

I let all the buds open properly and all the leaves extend. after they harden you can look closely and see small buds at the leaf bases. In the strong areas cut back to 2 buds - not as written sometimes 2 leaves as 2 leaves may have no buds!. now you have reduced strong and outer areas to just 2 buds for next yearr - these will develop (internally) into strong buds while the weak inner shoots now get light and energy so they get stronger too.

to sort out the bottom branches feed well, keep watered properly, cut all upper and middle growth as outlined above so energy goes to low and inner shoots. As the inner shoots get stronger cut these also to 2 visible buds - this drives more energy down.

Be prepared to cut all branches back to well formed inner buds and regrow them if they have very long bare sections.

in winter i cut the very strong areas from 2 buds back to one, but you must have fed the tree well the year before as sometimes one bud does not open.

i think they are my favorite deciduous species as they need to be looked after properly.

They hate drying right out - branches can fail totally if they do - i let moss stay on the soil in mid summer

hope this helps a little

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  marie1uk Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks Marcus ... I've copied your advice and blog info into my Bonsai Notes.

marie1uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down