a large Korean Hornbeam

View previous topic View next topic Go down

a large Korean Hornbeam

Post  JudyB on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:57 pm

I have recently begun work on a Korean Hornbeam. I am pleased with the overall branch selection that I kept. However, the branches need significant thickening to be in harmony with the trunks. I need to reduce the length of branches, but don't want to slow that thickening process too much.
Here are some photos of the tree, before and after work.
I will repot to slightly larger pot (better soil) this spring, also the large front root will come off at that time if possible.
The before picture is the current unflattering front, I have chosen a better angle.

Would you cut back significantly on the branches now, or let it grow to gain the needed size, and then cut?
Other suggestions and critique are welcome.
Thank you.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Re: a large Korean Hornbeam

Post  drgonzo on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi Judy

I really like that 'beam and you did good work with the change of front. As I'm sure you know the best (most expedient at least) way to thicken branches is to allow them free growth. As they are wired now the the spidery looking branches give the tree has a great "sleepy hollow" sort of feel to it which I personally like very much...

-Jay

drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks Jay,
I get that same feel from this tree. Will be exciting to see it after the repot.
Should I be concerned about removing that large of a root all at once? Especially given that I'm repotting from poor soil?

I wish I could graft it right onto the end of the chopped root.... Razz

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi Judy, great tree. If it were mine i would probably be shortening things at the top to start getting more ramification going and then just growing out someof the ones you want to thicken at the bottom.

I was wondering if you could get away with keeping the big root and just lowering the tree slightly but put the soil up around the rots following their contours ,if that makes sense. There seems to be a big gap in the front if you remove it.

I have a big root that i want to ermove on a hornbeam this year,I'm thinking of just cutting through the top bit by bit through the year so the scar heals bit by bit and also the tree gets used to not having it.

Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Smithy wrote:
I was wondering if you could get away with keeping the big root and just lowering the tree slightly but put the soil up around the rots following their contours ,if that makes sense. There seems to be a big gap in the front if you remove it.

I was thinking along these same lines. I would keep it and maybe rotate the front a bit counter clockwise to place the root a bit further off to the right hand side of the base.

I actually kinda like the root..but I'm weird with roots.

-Jay

drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks Smithy, nice to hear from you.

The space in the front, is actually a sort of a cave thing, the tree overhangs a open space at the soil. Like a large wide hollow. If I take the root, it will open that cave up to viewing, sort of interesting.

I will look at lowering, had not thought of that. But to rotate it more will begin to hide the secondary trunk, and to make the root blend against the other side, it would have to rotate too far. Here is a side shot that should show you better what is going on. I'm including a back shot as well, it's a whole different feel back there... I thought about this for the front for a while...

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi Judy , i love the back of the base of the tree.I was having a play around with what i would do with the front and couldn't help play around with the top as well. My drawing skills arent very good so its just an idea.

Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 pm

Yeah, me too,(the back base image) but the front has better overall. I thought about working for both sides, but that is difficult.
Thanks for the drawing, it's better than I could have done!

I am planning on pulling this back in to be more compact just as you have it drawn, although maybe not quite as rounded. Maybe let the apex go up and over the secondary trunk more. I can certainly see the hollow cave coming up like that in time.
Thank you so much!

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:29 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum