Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mossing for the show

+5
kora
abcd
0soyoung
Todd Ellis
marcus watts
9 posters

Go down

mossing for the show Empty mossing for the show

Post  marcus watts Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:48 pm

I just thought I'd share the way I moss the pots for a show so it stays looking perfect, stays in place and maintains enough humidity through the days of travel, set up and exhibition.

With the upcoming Noelanders approaching fast I got the ladder out and collected some nice moss from my roof and today spent an hour dressing the Hinoki.

stage one begins with a food blender / processor - I have the old one for jobs like this Laughing
mossing for the show 00110

fill it with sphagnum moss - this is fresh moss collected in the autumn, chop it up very fine

mossing for the show 00211mossing for the show 00310

once you have enough add water to make a sloppy moss soup
mossing for the show 00410mossing for the show 00510

start adding the soup to the pot. The water drains through and you get a nice even and smooth layer of very fine sphagnum moss
mossing for the show 00610

Now you add the prefered top layer of moss, pressing it down into the moist under layer. This holds each piece in place as well as providing moisture from underneath. Doing this keeps the moss looking really fresh and the tree benefits too from the added humidity. I wanted a solid moss finish rather than patches here and there but made it from different sizes, colours and types of moss. This gives an interesting surface with several textures.

mossing for the show 00710

job done. Finally i added a piece of netting to the top to keep the birds from ripping it all off
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

mossing for the show Empty Re: mossing for the show

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:13 pm

I would love to see photos of where, on your roof, you collected the moss Bagpiper
Thanks,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:06 am

I read about this on your blog today, Marcus.

Nicely simple and elegant 'solution'. Wish I had thought of it - seems so obvious now.

Thanks!
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

mossing for the show Empty moss

Post  abcd Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:12 am

Birds attack , the fear that keeps me awake before exhibitions !!!!
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kora Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:44 am

Finally! A good use for my food processor, which I only use once or twice a year! Sounds like a great way to moss!Shall try this year, thanks,kora

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:17 am

Nicely done Marcus.
My moss comes from the asphalt road, I figured if it can take the heat of asphalt and on a road, well life on Bonsai soil should be much better - chuckle.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:I would love to see photos of where, on your roof, you collected the moss Bagpiper
Thanks,
Todd

haha - ok, i will take a picture . i got a ladder to the garage roof then stood here and used a fishing rod to knock the nice round moss balls off the roof - as they rolled down i tried to catch them before they fell all the way to the ground and broke !!! 100% honest truth... the funny bit Todd is the bits that remained out of reach looked really good ! the grass is always greener they say.....................
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:03 pm

Ive put moss in the blender before but never tries making soup out of it (or daquiries).
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:21 pm

Twisted Trees wrote:Ive put moss in the blender before but never tries making soup out of it (or daquiries).

i told mandy it was soup.............she cooked dinner that night cheers cheers cheers
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  mikebonsai Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Haha, what a lovely natural "glue". Still waiting for the picture of your mossy roof!

Mike

mikebonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:59 pm

mikebonsai wrote:Haha, what a lovely natural "glue". Still waiting for the picture of your mossy roof!

Mike

oops, forgot about the roof - will do Very Happy
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  redbeard Wed May 22, 2013 6:33 pm

So, does this technique work with any kind of moss? I see that you specified sphagnum; I don't know my mosses, but I'd like to try it with whatever kind of moss I have on my property.
redbeard
redbeard

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung Thu May 23, 2013 3:54 am

redbeard wrote:So, does this technique work with any kind of moss? I see that you specified sphagnum; I don't know my mosses, but I'd like to try it with whatever kind of moss I have on my property.

I think you misunderstand. Moss you have on your property would go atop the chopped sphagnum. The problem with bonsai soil is that it doesn't retain enough moisture on its surface to keep the green moss you find alive.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  redbeard Thu May 23, 2013 4:55 am

Aha! thank you for setting me straight. I'm going to try this tomorrow!
redbeard
redbeard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down