How cold is where you are?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: How cold is where you are?

Post  David D on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:09 pm

4 degrees F, most trees under a foot of snow in the garden, tropicals are warm and happy. I rather enjoy the hibernation time.

David D

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Here, it's unusually warm for the season. We had a couple of days in november with mild frosts (minimum -3°C) and even some snow that melted rapidly, but for weeks now it's been around +6°C (aboot 42.8F) at night and about +12°C (aboot 53.6°F) during the day, with showers of rain but large sunny spells.

But last winter was mild too until we had several days of hard frosts (-10-15°C) for two weeks, then another spell of very cold days that finished to kill the trees that were not protected, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

There's a French saying that goes: "Noël au balcon, Pâques aux tisons" (sthg like "Xmas at the balcony, Easter by the embers") Neutral

Any equivalent in English ?...

Post scriptum : Fahrenheit to Celsius Converter Cool
For instance, 4°F is -15.555555555555557°C (approx.)

Considering that in Celsius measurement units, water starts to freeze at 0°C (and starts boiling at 100°C, but even if a handful of countries refuse to sign the Kyoto protocol, I hope we won't see such a climate swing as to experience it):

Brrrrrr...

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:34 pm

JimLewis wrote:
It's actually been nearly perfect here lately...daytime temps in the upper 20s to low 30s (F), nights in the low 20s.
Yes, Brrrrrrr! Perfect? How can you live in that?

As with most things, you get used to it. Just like we got used to the sometimes unbearably hot, humid summers in Virginia when we lived there.

It's interesting, for me at least it's pretty easy to take the cold and snow for most of the winter...I've always lived in areas that have "winter", so December, January and February are supposed to be cold and snowy. The problem up here is that winter usually drags well into March (even April sometimes)...that's hard to take! Especially after enjoying 10 years of early springs in Maryland and Virginia...

Incidentally, we didn't move up here by choice...it was a job-related move. I believe we'll probably head someplace warmer eventually. I did like the Virginia climate...

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:55 pm

I spent my early years, until I was six, in the central (low) mountains of France, "le Massif Central". There, we had real winters with snow and real summers with very hot temperatures.

I can't imagine living all year round in the same climate, I physically need the rythm of the seasons. It may be genetic, my family comes from the Tatra mountains on both sides.

But I may change my mind when rhumatisms become too much to bear, and join all those Europeans that sell their houses and buy in Spain or Morocco, a bit like the elderly from Quebec spend months in Florida... Laughing

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:10 pm

a bit like the elderly from Quebec spend months in Florida... Laughing

We call them "Snow Birds." The bunch from Canada even has their own radio news program in the winter called Canada Calling.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:12 pm

We also we have Floridians who own cabins in the North Carolina mountains where they spend the summer.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:11 pm

today 12C 53F, sheltered from the breeze it was T shirt weather as the sun was in a cloudless sky.

Trident leaves opening, junipers growing slowly (flowers swelling). Kyohime will be in leaf in 3 or 4 weeks I expect. this is a pain as there will be cold winds in Feb and random frosts up until April. I usually let the first acer leaves get frosted and grow a second set in the summer

Only had 2 ground frosts in my garden this year but no recorded temp dropping under 32F 0C yet . very wet though - many trees are under protection from the rain.

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:38 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:We also we have Floridians who own cabins in the North Carolina mountains where they spend the summer.

Laughing

I can understand that, why do you think "la siesta" is an institution in Spain and most mediterranean countries ?... Cool

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:21 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum