Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter cuttings of Trident Maple.

5 posters

Go down

Winter cuttings of Trident Maple. Empty Winter cuttings of Trident Maple.

Post  Justin_ Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:54 am

Last winter I tried the method for taking hardwood cuttings of trident maple described in Harry Tomlinson's old DK book: "...in late winter to early spring, hardwood cuttings (pencil, broom handle, and even wrist-thick) in sharp sand are successful."

I did three batches of around fifteen at a time in December, January and March, all between pencil and broom handle thickness. Most of them budded but only a few actually leafed-out, and by the end of the summer only one was still alive. That was around cigar thickness, and from the February batch. They were in a sand-filled trench in a sheltered part of the garden and had a glass roof held up on bricks to protect them from snow or heavy rain. I've since learnt from another thread here why sand is a less-than-ideal medium for cuttings, and the cool, wet summer here probably didn't help. Does anyone have any tips for a better success rate? The tree needs a heavy prune soon so I can't wait until spring to do a lot of layering.

Justin_

Back to top Go down

Winter cuttings of Trident Maple. Empty Re: Winter cuttings of Trident Maple.

Post  JimLewis Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:16 pm

I'd plant then in a shallow tray, in bonsai soil, with bottom heat. Protected, of course.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  63pmp Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:10 pm

rooting hormone helps. I use 3000 IBA powder. wet the end of the cutting with water; dip; tap off excess, and stick.

Paul

63pmp

Back to top Go down

Post  ironhorse Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:54 pm

I've had a fair bit of success with cuttings from most plants - leave a few leaves on the cutting, dip in rooting powder, plant up in free draining compost with a clear plastic cover (drinks bottles are good) and keep moist. Bottom heat doesnt seem to make a difference but the cutting needs to be taken when the donor plant is active. This time of year? I would wait until Spring.

Dave

ironhorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin_ Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:01 pm

I should have added, I've been taking cuttings from lots of different plants for around 35 years. I'm specifically wanting advice on this traditional method of taking hardwood cuttings over winter. I hoped from Harry Tomlinson's description that I'd have a better success rate than 2%. I get big chunks of privet to root like this almost any time of the year without using any hormone.

Dave & Paul: I use Clonex rooting gel rather than powder. If the branches were still on the tree next spring I'd be trying to layer them rather than take cuttings, but they need to be pruned soon ... and as previously mentioned this is an overgrown garden shrub, not a bonsai.

Jim: I'll try a few like that in a small heated propagator but there's much more potential material on the parent tree which is why I want to try the outdoor method again.

Justin_

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:45 am

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm trying to root some crepe myrtle cuttings. I know from experience that is is possible to get 1-2 inch think crepe myrtle cuttings to root, but I did that in spring. However, I've heard that it's better to take hardwood cuttings of deciduous trees in winters. I'm keeping my cuttings(all of which are more an inch thick) in small pots filled with turface, which are then sitting in a dish tub, which is itself set over a heating pad. Like the kind you'd put on a snake cage, for warmth. I'm wondering if this method is the right thing to do with crepe myrtle. Anybody have experience?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:54 pm

You don't HAVE winters in SW Florida. Take your cuttings whenever you please.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:19 pm

JimLewis wrote:You don't HAVE winters in SW Florida. Take your cuttings whenever you please.

Well, it was a bit cold, by Florida standards, which is why I brought them inside. Anyway, what do you think about taking an air layer right now?

PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:53 pm

My crape myrtles are out in the cold, cold world every day of the year. You may not be doing them any favors having them inside, no matter how small they are.

I see no reason why you couldn't DO a layer now, but why the rush? Spring is a guarantee with crape myrtles. And spring will start in your area in mid January.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:38 pm

JimLewis wrote:My crape myrtles are out in the cold, cold world every day of the year. You may not be doing them any favors having them inside, no matter how small they are.

I see no reason why you couldn't DO a layer now, but why the rush? Spring is a guarantee with crape myrtles. And spring will start in your area in mid January.

There's no rush. I'm just just having fun.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down