Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changes to Progressions forum

+4
yamasuri
fiona
Russell Coker
Kev Bailey
8 posters

Go down

Changes to Progressions forum Empty Changes to Progressions forum

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:29 pm

The moderators have discussed ongoing problems with incorrect items being posted on the Bonsai Progressions & Advanced Techniques forum. To stop this from happening we are going to change the Progressions forum permissions, so that only moderators can move suitable posts onto it. We want to encourage everyone to keep contributing progression sequences detailing the history of a tree from start to current but to post them on the Bonsai Discussion forum in future.

Last edited by JimLewis on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bf important line)
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Changes to Progressions forum Empty Re: Changes to Progressions forum

Post  Russell Coker Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:24 pm

Brilliant idea!

I hope that means that as you add threads to it you'll also be doing some, um, "house cleaning".
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:31 am

Halleluyah!!!

Are you folks going to transfer to the bonsai discussion older "doesn't belong" threads in there?

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:31 am

Process has already begun some time ago. But please bear with us as "us folks" have lives outside of the forum. I know, it's difficult to believe isn't it. Very Happy Laughing Cool
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:50 am

Great idea. I support it.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:54 am

fiona wrote: ...."us folks" have lives outside of the forum. I know, it's difficult to believe isn't it. Very Happy Laughing Cool

Really? I thought you were some kind of a computer program...hehehe Razz . Just kidding Fiona! and many Thanks again for the good management of the forum, you good "folks" (I hope the word is not negative in a sense scratch ). ThumbsUp

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:52 pm

jun wrote: you good "folks" (I hope the word is not negative in a sense)
Just as long as you don't preface the word "folks" with the word "old". thumbs up
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:01 pm

fiona wrote:
jun wrote: you good "folks" (I hope the word is not negative in a sense)
Just as long as you don't preface the word "folks" with the word "old". thumbs up
.....I was tempted to, but hold it back, after realizing your one of the mods... flower

Back to top Go down

Post  Xavier de Lapeyre Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:44 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:We want to encourage everyone to keep contributing progression sequences detailing the history of a tree from start to current but to post them on the Bonsai Discussion forum in future.

So basically if I have a progression to post, I should post it into the Bonsai Discussion section instead of the Bonsai Progression section?
And the moderators will then move it to the Bonsai Progression section if it is really a progression thread?
Xavier de Lapeyre
Xavier de Lapeyre

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:31 pm

That is correct, xtolord.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Can we just draw your attention to the reason the Progressions forum was set up (at the members' request) in the first place - namely as an educational resource. There is a full breakdown of what we were looking for in the sticky at the top of the forum but in short it should be something that shows a picture sequence of a progression from raw material thru' to as near completion as possible. The pictures should show a different stage in the development of the tree and should be accompanied by text outlining what is happening in each. Essentially what we are looking for is that the pictures and text should be enough for members to learn from. The threads that are moved will be those that fulfil this requirement.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:14 pm

If you post something worthwhile in the Discussion forum don't look for it to get moved too quickly. We will want all discussion that needs to be made on that thread to be finished since no more posts can be added once it is moved.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:29 pm

JimLewis wrote:If you post something worthwhile in the Discussion forum don't look for it to get moved too quickly. We will want all discussion that needs to be made on that thread to be finished since no more posts can be added once it is moved.

Hi Jim,

What do you mean with "no more posts can be added once it is moved"? Do you mean that a forum member cannot post a question or comment on tree once the thread is moved to prog. forum?

Taner
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Sakaki wrote:
JimLewis wrote:If you post something worthwhile in the Discussion forum don't look for it to get moved too quickly. We will want all discussion that needs to be made on that thread to be finished since no more posts can be added once it is moved.

Hi Jim,

What do you mean with "no more posts can be added once it is moved"? Do you mean that a forum member cannot post a question or comment on tree once the thread is moved to prog. forum?

Taner

Really???? The discussion can't continue and the progress can't be updated once it's moved? How come?
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:53 pm

The definitive answer is yes, people can still add to the thread, as apart from anything else the original poster may wish to add subsequent developments etc.

The ideal thread would be one where the poster puts up the full sequence and then answers any questions the members raise in their responses. I personally think this is quite valuable as we might get even more insight into design choices from the replies to members' questions. It's all about the learning.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:20 am

Hi Mods.

If this subject is still open for suggestions. Why not the mod/s select the right topic from the Bonsai discussion section after sometime that it exists, and then still open it up for discussion and updates on the Progression section.

There are some critical changes that can and will occur during the process of the development of the tree.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:31 am

What happens to the previously posted progression threads....????? Or is this only for new posts?
I'd also like to suggest that one of the elements "almost finished" is a little to fixed .......are any trees really finished.....also as some trees/projects go through many modifications/changes which sometimes reflects the development of the owner. Many can learn from those types of posts.
Cheers
G.
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  Xavier de Lapeyre Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:06 am

Thanks for the additional info Jim.
That makes a lot of sense.
Progression Threads = Informative only, kind of like finished articles rather than open ended questions.
Discussions Threads = Well, name says it all, its meant for discussions.

I think that this is a good move. This will uphold the quality of the articles in the progression section, and if anyone wants to further discuss it then (s)he can start a thread in the discussion forum with reference to the progression article.

Xavier de Lapeyre
Xavier de Lapeyre

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:07 am

fiona wrote:The definitive answer is yes, people can still add to the thread....

My mind is confused, fiona Confused
We can or cannot add?
If cant, why? Why we cant ask anything to the original poster about a technique that he applies after thread was moved to progression forum?
Let's say a branch/root/pot etc. was damaged, and poster has decided to apply a different technique to compensate that damage, or decided to ask for the comments of others about how to compensate, etc.!?

Taner
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:03 am

The once and for all answer is Yes, people will be able to reply to threads after it is moved to Progressions. ThumbsUp

If you look at in the forum you'll see members have already replied to some of the threads since we made the change. But just to illustrate the point, I've moved one of my own threads in there and asked a member to reply. I have not yet finished the tree which is why it was still in Discussion, but I will be able to go back and update it next summer once it gets its final pot and haircut.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 am

gman wrote:What happens to the previously posted progression threads....????? Or is this only for new posts?
I'd also like to suggest that one of the elements "almost finished" is a little to fixed .......are any trees really finished.....also as some trees/projects go through many modifications/changes which sometimes reflects the development of the owner. Many can learn from those types of posts.
Cheers
G.

Thanks for your very good suggestion and in fact this discussion has already been had when we set the Progressions forum up in the first place. But just so it is clear for future posters, I have amended the sticky accordingly.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:20 pm

oops. My mistake.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:54 pm

[quote="fiona"]
gman wrote:What happens to the previously posted progression threads....????? Or is this only for new posts?
Cheers
G.

Thanks for your very good suggestion and in fact this discussion has already been had when we set the Progressions forum up in the first place. But just so it is clear for future posters, I have amended the sticky accordingly.

Thanks Fiona.......
Did the discussion get around to the second part of this forum's title? - "Advanced Tecniques" .....this could have its own Very Happy
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:25 pm

The consensus was to keep it to as few forums as we can as having a forum for everything becomes unwieldy.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down