A Lot can happen in the USA in 5 years

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Lot can happen in the USA in 5 years

Post  Tony on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:48 pm

I love revisiting posts written some time ago. I came across a wonderful Post on Airtofbons.org written in 2007 by IBC member Vance Wood and with an immediate reply from Walter Pall (also IBC Member) . The post runs to over 198 replies and 14 pages and it was titled "The Problem With American Bonsai" . You can read it here: worth a read

I post this here and ask the question: Is the question the post addresses still applicable considering the apparent turnaround in the quality of bonsai we are seeing coming out of the USA?

‎"Study me as much as you like, you will never know me, for I differ a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes, and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see." — Rumi

Visit Tony's Bonsai website

If you Tweet?

Tony

Back to top Go down

Re: A Lot can happen in the USA in 5 years

Post  marcus watts on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Absolutely brilliant article, i'm only part way through as i did not visit forums back then......i cant wait to see the updated discussion - i have opinions based on our forum encounters but will wait a while...........................

great tony, what with this and the sloppy moss soup article of owens you get this weekends gold star

Edit 2hrs later (yes i know, get a life etc etc) Very Happy Very Happy after reading the lot the exact same topics are relevant today

excelent discussion - started well, brilliant in the middle and gradually wound down to the end - just like life in general. I cant see anything has changed tho

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:24 am

Thanks Marcus. The article by Vance is well worth a read as it addresses a lot discussed here... and Walters response is on the money. Its interesting how few respondents get 'rattled' by the strong sentiments expressed.

‎"Study me as much as you like, you will never know me, for I differ a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes, and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see." — Rumi

Visit Tony's Bonsai website

If you Tweet?

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Thank you Tony, et all, for your input and bringing Vance's essay (back) to our attention. I joined IBC almost three years ago and loved it at first sight! Then I read some of the more harsh comments and critiques and took offense. This was a turning point for me because it made me think about why I love bonsai so much and what critiques are meant to achieve. I "got over" my initial impulses of thinking that many Europeans were "too harsh or brash"in their criticism towards the novice growers. I felt that this approach would scare aware would - be - budding artists and aficionados of this precious art. I know the feeling of spending hours with my trees only to have a more experienced artist point out the defects in a few short minutes at a workshop. However, there is a saying in many circles "no pain no gain..."

There were many who suggested that people who submit their work to the forum's scrutiny "ask for comments" versus people just "sharing unsolicited advice". There is now an IBC Forum thread, Personal Space Galleries, where viewers are asked not to comment, positively or negatively, just view. This is change towards the better.

People who want to advance in this art in their own pace will do so. People who want to really push themselves, and can afford to do so, will do just that.

Great thread here and thank you IBC for helping me to see beyond my limitations, American or otherwise.

Best,
Todd

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:11 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum