Offline with Mr. Robert Stenven in my Garden (lnvinh - VietNam)

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Offline with Mr. Robert Stenven in my Garden (lnvinh - VietNam)

Post  mientrung on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Robert Steven wrote:
Mien, every country has poor people, even in Japan, Europe and America, but now there are lots of rich and super rich people in Vietnam is a fact..and the living standard in Vietnam is lifting up tremendously since the last 10 or 20 years in all aspects. Despite of certain common "negative" impact of fast growing "new" society, there are a big potential for bonsai community in Vietnam and your potential is growing on the right track..as you will soon have an integrated bonsai community, which is very important.

There are more and more rich and super rich people get involved in bonsai hobby..this is the first good thing, a good demand. Some of these collectors may not know how to make and maintain their bonsai, then this will be a potential for the bonsai artists as profession..and as already happened as you stated, this condition also created so many bonsai "farmers" and yamadori hunters to supply the demand. Overall, this situation will impact to the economical aspect, as well as to the bonsai art itself...and this is what I mean as an important integrated community..bring benefits to all. And this condition does not happen in every country...somewhere everyone want to be an artists, but the art doesn't go nowhere...

What I mean by "icon" is not something you need to claim or declare officially, but it's simply a distinctive identity admired by international bonsai community, such as the Wrightia from Malaysia, Pemphis from Indonesia..etc. No one care if the Wrightia bonsai in Malaysia is from Sarawak or from Penang..and in fact not every region in Indonesia can grow Pemphis well..but certain outstanding character will create the national identity, and I think this is a good thing..no matter it comes from which region..as a nation !

In the south, you have Antidesma "Sam nui" and your small leaves Wrightia is just outstanding. You can also develop your Sam and small leaves Wrightia bonsai to go along with the ficus from the north. When I say "Icon", it can be more than one species..just like Indonesia has Pemphis and Casuarina, Malaysia has wonderful Baeckea beside Wrightia..and who knows, one day..your small leaves Wrightia is better then the one from Malaysia.

You are bull-eyed on a number of points. That is what we are striving for. In the south, there is significant number of bonsai nurseries just to produce bare basic materials for bonsai now with blue-bell and wrightia species. So that in the future, we don't have to depending on the yamadori from the wild. Although the yamadori from the wild will give more appealing and interesting features such as dead wood and gnarly trunk, it is getting rarer everyday.

As for the icons, blue-bell and the "Sam nui" are quite popular from the central to the south of Vietnam. Even now, there is a new blue-bell species with leaf just as small as the small-leaf wrightia that you saw. That will be more interesting later on.

mientrung

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:43 pm

There are no "rule" in bonsai..if any, there are only the rules of aesthetic and horticultural clue (plant physiology and plan morphology).
Shape of canopy as well as the configuration setting are all about composition in the design, so it cannot stand alone, should fit to the other design elements..the trunk, the branches etc. in order to successfully convey the character, the mimic and the mood of the tree.

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:51 pm

mientrung wrote:
You are bull-eyed on a number of points. That is what we are striving for. In the south, there is significant number of bonsai nurseries just to produce bare basic materials for bonsai now with blue-bell and wrightia species. So that in the future, we don't have to depending on the yamadori from the wild. Although the yamadori from the wild will give more appealing and interesting features such as dead wood and gnarly trunk, it is getting rarer everyday.

As for the icons, blue-bell and the "Sam nui" are quite popular from the central to the south of Vietnam. Even now, there is a new blue-bell species with leaf just as small as the small-leaf wrightia that you saw. That will be more interesting later on.

Yes, I forgot to mention your blue-bell..just wonderful !

I only took the close-up picture..sorry. Maybe you can post one to share...

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:16 pm

jun wrote:
Hi Robert.
I think this is becoming a very informative discussion. Please continue the explanation further.

Like the proper branch placement. The textbook design dictates a left side, right side, back...repeat the process until you reach the top/apex. this method most of the time creates the triangle shape for trees, right? Now people will ask, what is the proper way to do tropical/ decidous branch layout to make a more naturalistic tree.

I'll ask something again later...hehehe. Wink

regards,
jun Smile

Jun, you know the answers...hehe....

Anyway.....
This is another "wrong" mindset for many so they tend to design their bonsai with this check-list despite of the basic character of the material.

There is nothing wrong with the 1-2-3 branching rule, but one should understand that this is simply a basic guidance to an ideal tree shape which is formed as it grows on an open area without being affected by meaningful exterior aspects...with the water source available around. In such condition, the tree will grow in its normal ideal shape with the 1-2-3 branching arrangement, tapering trunk, balance rootage formation etc... It's all about plant physiology.

Then what's next if some branches died due to certain disease in the roots system..someone cut the other branches for firewood, the lightening strikes and burn out the apex, another day a truck hit the tree to half tilting ? So do you think that the tree will grow to its initial form back with the 1-2-3 branching formation and with the perfect apex form ?
The tree will grow to different shape..and in bonsai, that's our task to simulate the natural phenomena into logical design. Those rules are no more valid.

What make a tropical bonsai look natural is not on the branching placement, but on the wider "non-single line apex" crown, the ramification structure and the irregular form of its foliation composition.

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  mientrung on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:41 pm

I should apologize Mr Vinh for hijacking this thread for discussion. Hope you don't mind Embarassed

mientrung

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:43 pm

mientrung wrote:I should apologize Mr Vinh for hijacking this thread for discussion. Hope you don't mind Embarassed

Opp..that's me, Mien. Embarassed
My apology, Vinh....

Last edited by Robert Steven on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  newzealandteatree on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:16 am

"Thanks CJ, hope to meet you again sometimes.."
Robert, look forward to that. May want to drop by your place one day. Have not been to Djk for long time.

Cheers,

CJ

newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:15 am

newzealandteatree wrote:
"Thanks CJ, hope to meet you again sometimes.."
Robert, look forward to that. May want to drop by your place one day. Have not been to Djk for long time.

Cheers,

CJ

You are always welcome any time, CJ

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:30 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum