Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

White Pine Needle Mite?

3 posters

Go down

White Pine Needle Mite? Empty White Pine Needle Mite?

Post  Lee Brindley Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:01 pm

I recently accquired this tree (Pinus parviflora) for what I think was a decent deal... as long as it survives! The nearest thing I can find on the internet looks like 'needle mite'. Straight away I sprayed the tree with a general purpose insecticide. Can anybody confirm my amature diagnosis? Is there anything else I should do?
Many thanks, Lee.

White Pine Needle Mite? 001hzv

Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

White Pine Needle Mite? Empty Re: White Pine Needle Mite?

Post  coh Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:13 pm

I think that's actually pine needle scale (is that what you meant?). I've got this on a couple of small austrian pines that are planted in the ground. So far it has resisted oil spray and systemic (bayer), though the systemic was applied fairly recently. I will be spraying again (oil) before winter and applying the bayer in the spring.

These things seem to reproduce very rapidly. Good luck! Hopefully others who have dealt with this will have suggestions.

Edit to add - see, for example: http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/Web/181PineNeedleScale.pdf
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  klaufi Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:52 pm

This is a pinus aristata, these spots are resin spots and they are on the needles.

Greetings
Klaus

klaufi

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:59 pm

klaufi wrote:This is a pinus aristata, these spots are resin spots and they are on the needles.

Greetings
Klaus

Well blow me, I think you may be right! When I first saw the tree, my friend pointed it out at a bonsai nursery, and said "Look at this white pine!" I said "thats not a white pine" and he pointed out the label. I counted the needles and found that they were in clusters of five, and conceded that it must be parviflora. It was not until now that I realised that there were other types of five needle pine.
Thanks, Lee.
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down