Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Juniper collecting

3 posters

Go down

Juniper collecting  Empty Juniper collecting

Post  giga Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:39 pm

I just bought a new house and I FINALLY have a back yard so I can get back into bonsai's. It's been a few years but I found my first material on a river bank in the middle of the woods. When you be the best time to trunk chop this and transplant? Or should this be done in the spring at one time? I only have a few tropicals so I'm not as familiar with temperate species
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Juniper collecting  Empty Re: Juniper collecting

Post  JimLewis Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:44 am

Spring is always the best time to collect -- assuming that you own the land on that riverbank. Otherwise, you need permission from whoever DOES own the land -- person, company or government -- to do any collecting.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Yates Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:05 pm

It really depends on the type of Juniper. Some seem to have a better chance of survival if collected during the natural rest period in mid summer. I would also do a test dig to see how far the roots spread out from the base, since if it is an old tree many of the important fine roots might be quite far from the trunk. I have had success digging the tree out over a number of years and not lifting it in one go. Good luck!

Kevin Yates

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down