Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus abutilifolia

2 posters

Go down

Ficus abutilifolia 	 Empty Ficus abutilifolia

Post  leatherback Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:42 am

Some 6 years ago I got my hands on some Ficus abutilifolia seeds. Long story short: 1 year ago I planted 4 of these ficus on some rocks and am now growing root-over-rock with rock splitting figs (How fitting Very Happy ).

I am having trouble getting these the grow vigorously though. In these last 6 years they have only grown to some 30cm, with only getting growth in European winter, a measely 5-10 leaves per year. In summer they just seem to be on a stand-still. In a way this seems logical, as the seeds are of a plant naturally occuring in the Southern Hemisphere (South Africa I think). But I have not had this problems with other species from that region. Does anyone have experience with this species? I would love to be able to get them to explode and grow like crazy for a few years. Also as they have not created any side-branches. Because of the lack of vigour, I am worried abut clipping the growing tip out..

Ficus abutilifolia 	 2011_010

Any suggestions?
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Ficus abutilifolia 	 Empty Re: Ficus abutilifolia

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Leatherback,

this plant looks like it would give results similar to Ficus Religiosia [ large leaves, few branches.]

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ficus+abutilifolia&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=u&rlz=1T4TSHB_en___TT342&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-F-tUM-ECY680QHG3IGQDQ&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1093&bih=483

Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Khaimraj,

Thx for the input. I was a bit worried about that; As I did grow the plants just for the fun of it, I am not too worried about it making good bonsai (Which I suspect with decennia might still be possible). Any suggestions on how to get them to kick-start their growth?

J.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down