Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virginia pine...another display option.

+17
Leo Schordje
abcd
augustine
Twisted Trees
Carolee
Vance Wood
woodsart
Norma
Mark
Kev Bailey
gregb
Ed Trout
Velodog2
mike page
fiona
Nik Rozman
Tom Simonyi
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Virginia pine...another display option. - Page 2 Empty Hey

Post  woodsart Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:28 pm

Tom,

Very nice Va Pine specimen!!! I seem to enjoy all of the options!! ? Did the pine actually come from Virginia? If so, I am interested in the process/care of the VA Pine. There is that variety in Virginia that I am interested in collecting, but until this thread I have never heard of anyone training one for bonsai.

Thanks in advance,
Robt

woodsart

Back to top Go down

Virginia pine...another display option. - Page 2 Empty Re: Virginia pine...another display option.

Post  Tom Simonyi Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:43 am

Good day, Robt....actually the pine was not collected in Virginia, but rather in northern West Virginia....regarding its care I have been following a regimen suggested by Vance Wood several years ago which he follows for mugho pine (you can find a reference on the web)....it differs somewhat from the traditional two-needle pine care.

This pix. shows the display option that I have decided upon....the stand was crafted from old redwood growth by Dave Lowman.

Best regards,
TomVirginia pine...another display option. - Page 2 Pine_010
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Virginia pine...another display option. - Page 2 Empty Re: Virginia pine...another display option.

Post  Vance Wood Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:25 pm

This stand option is the best you have posted; I like it.

You have done well with this Pine, it only gets better every time I see it.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Virginia pine...another display option. - Page 2 Empty Va. Pine

Post  woodsart Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Thanks for the reply, Tom, the Va. Pine flourishes here in Va., also the table mountain Pine, which is west of us. Wonder if yours could be a table mountain Pine? Possibly? To me it is hard to tell the difference, except for the cones. I am excited in collecting one or the other this spring. Thanks, Robt.

woodsart

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:29 pm

Although I think all of the feedback is valid, I like the first picture of the pot on the stone. I don't think it overwhelms the eye. I looked at other posts and then came back, several times, and the green of the pine definitely pulls my eye before the stone. For me the 'perfect' display would be the first, with the stone and pot the same color. I like that you are going out of the box!.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:29 pm

I decided to post the tree again after another four years have passed.  This is how it currently looks.  I do like the redwood burl that it sits on.  And btw, Vance....thanks for your last reply in this post I appreciate the kind words...sorry it came four years later!  Hope all is well with you and your family.  TomVirginia pine...another display option. - Page 2 P_virg10
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Tom Simonyi wrote:I am still experimenting with different display options for this tree...decided to try a stone.  I would welcome comments.

Regards,
TomVirginia pine...another display option. - Page 2 Vp_aug10
Sorry, but I do not think that rock does anything to enhance the tree.No  The straight horizontal trunk is very distracting. I would suggest removing the upper part as was suggested earlier or hide it by lowering the crown to cover it.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Tom Simonyi wrote:I decided to post the tree again after another four years have passed.  This is how it currently looks.  I do like the redwood burl that it sits on.  And btw, Vance....thanks for your last reply in this post I appreciate the kind words...sorry it came four years later!  Hope all is well with you and your family.  TomVirginia pine...another display option. - Page 2 P_virg10
I should have read everything before posting earlier. That is an outstanding solution to the problems I saw.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:10 am

Wonderful tree.

Best

augustine

Back to top Go down

Virginia pine...another display option. - Page 2 Empty pine on rock

Post  abcd Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:57 am

Wonderfull composition ,don't change the rock, the first composition 4 years ago , was too massive, rocks was too big.
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Thank you all for your input....it is appreciated.
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:17 pm

Tom
Nicely done
You successfully solved the problem of the 'too straight' trunk, it looks like by simply rotating the tree. Nicely done.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Virginia pine...another display option. - Page 2 Empty Virginia Pine Display Options

Post  MKBonsai Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:04 pm

I don't normally like crescent pots very much - but this tree / pot / display combination is very nice - it looks very natural - very well done, you have a very nice bonsai there.

JT
MKBonsai
MKBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Thank you, JT....I appreciate your input.

Regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Virginia pine...another display option. - Page 2 Empty virginia pine

Post  moyogijohn Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:17 pm

Tom,, A very nice tree there ! I like the display you created now. very good work..I am going crazy now with this deep freeze we have now and there is more to come next week they say !!! good job take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:00 am

What an awesome tree! Thanks for sharing and updating us. Out of curiosity when do you repot? Have herd to treat as mugo, but that is a bit vauge, would be great to get info strait from one who obviously knows how to keep this species very happy and healthy. -jacob
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:19 pm

The tree as it currently looks in August of 2018

Virginia pine...another display option. - Page 2 2853a210
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:29 pm

Very nice!
This pot is better than previous one.
Perhaps, a little more negative space between first branch and apex would add balanced harmony to the image... Personal opinion of course Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:35 pm

Thank you Nellie I appreciate your input
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next