Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BURRS 2012

+30
Jaco Kriek
BigDave
ALANWILD
yamasuri
Hombre
dan butler
leatherback
Nik Rozman
jeffrey
robatkinson
Hans van Meer.
Bob Brunt
Smithy
dorothy7774
Pavel Slovák
David Fairbanks
my nellie
Stone Monkey
Erik Križovenský
coh
will baddeley
graham walker
The Lad
paul.spearman
Sakaki
crust
DangerousBry
bonsai monkey
Jeremy
chris
34 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Empty Did I say that there was singing?

Post  Guest Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Did I mention that there was singing? ... national anthems and local chants Dance

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Fog_on10

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Ofer_g10

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Spanis10

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Nation10

Back to top Go down

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Empty Re: BURRS 2012

Post  leatherback Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:40 pm

That looks like an amazing event. Sooo sad my work had to take me away from BURRS. Well.. Next year I am there!
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi everybody,
I am still in a Burrs buzz and cant stop looking at the pictures that I made and the ones on the web! They bring back warm memories and poet a smile on my face! Here is a other little gem that deserves to be seen!

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 11-11-60

Have a nice weekend!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Empty burrs

Post  dan butler Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 am

as a first timer to burrs i can vouch for what an amazing experiance it is, never have i met so many fantastic, bonsai crazy people in one room, even the fact you did not speake the same language did not matter.

dan butler

Back to top Go down

Post  Hombre Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:50 am

All I can say is CONGRATULATIONS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and maybe ,,,,,,,,,,,that envy you in a good way. Twisted Evil

Βest regards Lazaros.
Hombre
Hombre

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks for sharing all that pictures and stories...can imagine how fantastic atmosphere and creative environment was there.Wish I could participate ....too far for me. Good luck on this event. It is great idea.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  ALANWILD Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:59 pm

It really was a great weekend. I am glad that I bumped into Tony at the Capel Manor show about a month before and managed to get one of the places available due to some unlucky person who had to cancel. A few more photos:
The river behind the BURRS activity centre.
BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Dsc_0011
Some carving on a privit by Will. I wanted a close up as I have a twin trunk privit that needs carving
BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Dsc_0013
Erik's pine
BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Dsc_0014
Here is my Scots Pine that I took to BURRS to tidy up and get some input from the artists.
BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Dsc_0015

A really great weekend. A big thank you to the artists and especially Tony, Carolyn and the hosting team. I am looking forward to next year.

ALANWILD

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:40 am

Announcing soon the artists for 2013, watch this space.

Back to top Go down

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Empty David Barlow's pine before and after!

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi everybody,
I have received from David Barlow some before and first styling pictures of his large pine that underwent it's last styling by David and Terry Foster at this years Burrs. Terry Foster has been the excellent residential artist/teachers at every Burrs editions so far and I want to share these pictures here on IBC to show just how much talent this friendly and modest guy actually possesses!

Below: 2005, Future backside of David Barlow's Pine before the work started.

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 David_10

Below: The future frontside.

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Davids10

Below: Close up of the future frontside.

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 David_11

Below: After the first styling in 2005.

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Davids11

Below: The same pine after it's (only) second styling at this years Burrs.

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 11-11-61

Amazing isn't it! Just to prove how well David took care of his pine to get it this far, this fast! And how right he was to entrust talented Terry with the styling of his Bonsai!

Well don indeed!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Another before and after

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Dscf7548

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Dscf7643

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Empty I want one

Post  BigDave Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:59 pm

tony wrote:Announcing soon the artists for 2013, watch this space.

Mr. Tickle,

You should be very proud, looks like a real success. It would be great to replicate all over the world.

Could you describe how you and your team put this event together, it would be very interesting to me and others

Thanks,
Big D

ps. What is a BURRS, thinking... Boys Unite Reshape Rockin' Stock... Question
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaco Kriek Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Can I assume that the when planted in a bonsai pot, the soil level will be round about as indicated by the yellow 'Pot'. What then happens with the area (roots and soil) in the orange triangle?

Regards

Jaco

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Dscf7611
Jaco Kriek
Jaco Kriek

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:18 pm

BigDave wrote:Mr. Tickle,

You should be very proud, looks like a real success. It would be great to replicate all over the world.

Could you describe how you and your team put this event together, it would be very interesting to me and others
The Burrs ‘experience’ is easy to explain. But difficult to replicate as you would need a similar venue.

The whole event takes place in one building on one level, work, eat, sleep… and the cost is kept LOW and because from the moment to arrive all your needs are catered for… one price that’s it!

Artists are carefully chosen as they must ‘perform’ outside of traditional workshop practices, it’s Burrs way or no way… tough but it works.

Food… all food is excellent and managed by Carolyn, some regulars come for the food first…bonsai second, some come to fish and some simply for the craic.

We have a timetable so everyone knows what is happening. Before the event I attempt to ‘buddy up’ those who are attending on their own… I foster fun and friendship… Bonsai is a language which nationalities share, I also have a few surprises … like singing your national anthem.

Does that help Big Dave?

Back to top Go down

BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Empty Pot for the yew

Post  Jeremy Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:03 pm

Jaco Kriek wrote:Can I assume that the when planted in a bonsai pot, the soil level will be round about as indicated by the yellow 'Pot'. What then happens with the area (roots and soil) in the orange triangle?
Regards
Jaco
BURRS 2012 - Page 4 Dscf7611

I love the surface roots.
I plan to reduce and carve the left hand root somewhat and then later once the yew is ready, commission a pot from Erik Križovenský, thus it is likely I can retain most of the flare rootage while still maintaining the planting angle.
Seeing Erik's work on other challenging trees, I am very optimistic. Check out Erik's blog might give some idea..
http://www.atelierbonsai-element.com/en ... pot-no.26/
Hope this helps.
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:46 pm

tony wrote:

Does that help Big Dave?
Yes Most kind to respond. May I question further ...

The Burrs ‘experience’ is easy to explain. But difficult to replicate as you would need a similar venue.
The
whole event takes place in one building on one level, work, eat, sleep…

MEETING ROOM, DINING ROOM, KITCHEN AND SLEEPING , YES
ID THINK A PLACE OUT OF THE ORDINARY ALSO WOULD BE NICE, MOUNTAIN, LAKE SEASHORE, COUNTRYSIDE

and the cost is kept LOW and because from the moment to arrive all your
needs are catered for… one price that’s it!

I HAVE A FEELING THERE IS MORE FUN INVOLVED AND LESS "FOR PROFIT" AM I READING CORRECTLY. IS IT A BRING YOUR OWN BONSAI EVENT (BYOB)

Artists are
carefully chosen as they must ‘perform’ outside of traditional workshop
practices, it’s Burrs way or no way… tough but it works.

WHAT RATIO ARTISTS TO STUDENT DO YOU FIND BEST ?

Food…
all food is excellent and managed by Carolyn, some regulars come for the
food first…bonsai second, some come to fish and some simply for the
craic.

DONT KNOW THIS WORD CRAIC...IS CAROLYN THE OONLY GIRL ALLOWED ...

Shocked
We have a timetable so everyone knows what is happening.
Before the event I attempt to ‘buddy up’ those who are attending on
their own… I foster fun and friendship…

GENUIS,
BURRS 2012 - Page 4 754636

Bonsai is a language which
nationalities share, I also have a few surprises … like singing your
national anthem.

HMM TALENT SHOW, VERY NICE

OKAY THANKS ALOT,
AM GOING TO DO THIS IN MY LOCALE... MAYBE A TRIP TO THE DESERT FOR STONES AND JUNIPERS MIGHT BE NICE ALSO....

--BIG D

PS. STILL DONT KNOW WHAT A BURRS IS/ARE -- SECRET SOCIETY PERHAPS Suspect
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:47 am

BigDave wrote:
OKAY THANKS ALOT,
AM GOING TO DO THIS IN MY LOCALE... MAYBE A TRIP TO THE DESERT FOR STONES AND JUNIPERS MIGHT BE NICE ALSO....

--BIG D

PS. STILL DONT KNOW WHAT A BURRS IS/ARE -- SECRET SOCIETY PERHAPS Suspect

I think replicating would be dificult, even if you add the right ingredients. The result is not always the same as the combinations of its parts..

As for BURRS: http://www.burrs.org.uk/location.htm
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:48 am

leatherback wrote: ... ...I think replicating would be dificult, even if you add the right ingredients. The result is not always the same as the combinations of its parts... ...
Yes, of course! And in case you find all the "ingredients" and they seem OK then there is something else which will be missing, which is (in my opinion) the personality of the organizer, the passion, the familiarity, the skill and so many others.
However, it would be great (and in favor of bonsai art) if BigDave will be able to start something similar, which I wish to him with all my heart. Having the target high makes you try for the best.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:24 am

Organising a memorable bonsai event is very much a case of getting the right mix of participants, teachers, venue and creating an atmosphere of learning, sharing and most of all fun.

When participants register for my workshops I tell them that this is a time to forget all the distractions, stress and commitments in their life and be selfish for once. We are all busy people and tend to fit bonsai in around everything else we have to do “Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans” John Lennon…

Some people have been coming for years because over the weekend they have time to catch up, relax, chat, play, joke and yes… work on trees.

Its when participants embrace ‘letting go’ and put their fate in the artists and fellow participants that beautiful bonsai emerge.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:33 pm

tony wrote:Organising a memorable bonsai event is very much a case of getting the right mix of participants, teachers, venue and creating an atmosphere of learning, sharing and most of all fun.

When participants register for my workshops I tell them that this is a time to forget all the distractions, stress and commitments in their life and be selfish for once. We are all busy people and tend to fit bonsai in around everything else we have to do “Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans” John Lennon…

Some people have been coming for years because over the weekend they have time to catch up, relax, chat, play, joke and yes… work on trees.

Its when participants embrace ‘letting go’ and put their fate in the artists and fellow participants that beautiful bonsai emerge.

Right words for right moments!
I'll probably exert utmost effort to attend one of the next BURRS, not only for learning something from the artistis but also to smell that ambiance & to meet you Smile

Cheers
Taner
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:52 pm

tony wrote:I tell them that this is a time to forget all the distractions, stress and commitments in their life and be selfish for once. We are all busy people

Its when participants embrace ‘letting go’

I'll use these wise quotes to convince my wife, and my children, when i abandon them to embrace bonsai for a full weekend in stead of them... emancipation of 'men' ! Or i'll just get slapped in the face, thats more likely to happen Smile

children (and a house to renovate), the kind of stress I just can't miss...maybe in 10 years ;-). I'm lucky I have a small garden, so my trips are very 'efficient' bonsai-wise.

PS: sorry if some of you have (minimum) 2 very young children and attended Burrs Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:56 pm

Dave, as Leatherback points out, Burrs is the name of the venue. It is an outdoor centre in the heart of the town of Bury - a key town in the UK's Industrial Revolution and beyond. Here's the link again:

SEE HERE

However, using a nice piece of metonymy, Burrs has come to stand for all the things Tony and others have already mentioned - fun, fellowship, varying degrees of quality singing, and moreover top quality bonsai work. That's the bit that will be most difficult to replicate. So, don't try to replicate it - give whatever you try your own stamp.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:15 pm

leatherback wrote:

I think replicating would be dificult, even if you add the right ingredients. The result is not always the same as the combinations of its parts..

As for BURRS: http://www.burrs.org.uk/location.htm

Thanks Leather for your comments. Replicate sure would be hard, of course we would do our own spin on things,

OOO burrs is a place, got it, I was sure it was a cool secret acronym for something,,Bonsai Under Really Rockin Situations

something like that
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:16 pm

my nellie wrote:
However, it would be great (and in favor of bonsai art) if BigDave will be able to start something similar, which I wish to him with all my heart. Having the target high makes you try for the best.

Most kind
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 pm

tony wrote:Organising a memorable bonsai event is very much a case of getting the right mix of participants, teachers, venue and creating an atmosphere of learning, sharing and most of all fun.

Great stuff, thanks Ticklesan
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:23 pm

fiona wrote:... Burrs has come to stand for all the things Tony and others have already mentioned - fun, fellowship, varying degrees of quality singing, and moreover top quality bonsai work. That's the bit that will be most difficult to replicate. So, don't try to replicate it - give whatever you try your own stamp.

thanks fiona... Yeah

We NEED the TICKLE

Trying to find the American Tickle as we speak.

and a cool place like your buuuurrrrss
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next