Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knot pine style

+50
Tona
Eastern Bonsai
Dario
Jack Carrack
DaveLeeQuinn
fiona
dick benbow
Dave Leppo
giga
mikebonsai
Andrew Legg
Andrew Campbell
Emmy40
will baddeley
marie1uk
GaryWood
Hans van Meer.
Just Mike
Dan W.
Velodog2
Barry M
Patrick Cremers
Rob C
Vance Wood
sunip
dorothy7774
Justin Hervey
vev
mickmyrt
Orion
coh
MikeG
GašperG
twinsrat
Steve p
Smithy
Ryan B
Gary Swiech
cram
augustine
AlainK
jrodriguez
aristide
level320
BrianG
gope
DangerousBry
gman
JimLewis
law
54 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Knot pine style - Page 6 Empty Re: Knot pine style

Post  law Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:12 pm

After one season growing in it's new home.

To be continue.Knot pine style - Page 6 Dscn0610
law
law

Back to top Go down

Post  Tona Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Fun!! I like it Law!!
Tona
Tona
Tona

Back to top Go down

Post  law Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:14 am

law
law

Back to top Go down

Post  law Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:23 am

Miss the modern kakemono that i've not done for the moment (still thinking about the text), little modifications on the gibbet and the conch, let grow the tree for one or two seasons and then it will probably be ready for an exhibition. Wait and see.

A kind of iron wood flying scot pine :
Knot pine style - Page 6 Dscn0614[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/14712944/1298]Knot pine style - Page 6 Dscn0615
law
law

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:42 am

I love the tree shape right now at the moment. However the extravagant pot doesn't fit well to my eyes. For me doesn't support the message of the tree. That's just my taste. Smile 
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:02 pm

I know I may be commenting on the fashion statement of the King showing off his new clothes. I absolutely love the tree but I hate what you have done to it. That is of course just my opinion and means almost nothing, you obviously know what you are doing. My problem is that the container/pot/thing you have the tree planted in totally steals the attention away from a beautiful tree that deserves it's own center stage.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  law Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Perfect ! "Hate" is an emotion among the others.

I could please you and many of you by choosing the perfect japanese pot, respecting the perfect japanese rules... but, there's a but, i've done it for 15 years and know i want to please myself first.

Just a "conditioning look", i can say i'm out of that know.

I could have used your words few years ago, i'm happy to see the things differently today.

law
law

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:54 pm

I am glad you are pleased with the outcome.  As I said the tree is wonderful but the potting arrangement is to great a force for the tree to over-come in my opinion.  It kind of reminds me of the Ballad of Breaker Maran:  

There once was a man from Australia
who painted his arse like a Dahlia
The color was fine
as to the design
but the aroma------oh what a failure.

I have always held the position that you can do bonsai any way you like, and make any statement with your designs you like, but whether or not you have succeeded in making an artistic contribution to the world of bonsai depends on the response you ultimately get from those who look at your work. You may get many from the art community who will applaud this effort, and well they should, but how many from the bonsai community will echo that accolade?
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Carrack Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:24 am

I wish I had your vision Law. This is great. I don't think I'll ever be able to create such an original image, but I'm glad that there are people like you who are able to.

Jack Carrack

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:43 pm

L.E.N. ...

N.M.E. ? ...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Vance Wood wrote:

I have always held the position that you can do bonsai any way you like, and make any statement with your designs you like, but whether or not you have succeeded in making an artistic contribution to the world of bonsai depends on the response you ultimately get from those who look at your work.  You may get many from the art community who will applaud this effort, and well they should, but how many from the bonsai community will echo that accolade?
Not sure I like it either Vance, but Law is pretty open about not doing this 'for the bonsai community', so I guess whether we like it or not is pretty much inconsequential. The thing I like about it most is that there's another person out there trying things a bit different. Every so often one of them makes a breakthrough, May not be this time or next, but who knows when . . . . . . :-)

PS: Law, still think you need a Hello Kitty in there somewhere! Twisted Evil 

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisV Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:07 am

I like the Idea Law and I kind of like the composition too although it doesn't fit traditional bonsai.
Doesn't matter it's art right?! And art is a free movement.
But what I don't like is the tree. Maybe because I look at it with a normal bonsai vision, but even if I don't, the movement of the trunk is very disturbing somehow.
And it doesn't fit any of the lines used in the whole composition (pot, table etc.) Maybe a tree with a different movement would.

But hey who cares as long as you are happy with it! Very Happy 

ChrisV
ChrisV

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:17 pm

Just going to put my two-pence worth in for what it counts;

I like what you have done here in that you have created a unique piece of art without slavingly sticking to Japanese traditions. For me - this is where I would like to see bonsai moving in the future. As for the composition though, do I like it? Hmmmmm... not really. There is something that makes me feel uneasy about a tree dangling in the air. The reason we design our trees with buttressing bases and powerful nebari is to give the tree a strong visual anchorage to the ground. This composition creates the opposite impression for me. I keep finding myself coming back and looking though, and that can't be a bad thing!
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Knot pine style - Page 6 Empty Updates??

Post  Lynn E Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:02 pm

Any new photos of this tree? Still with you? Thanks, Lynn

Lynn E

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6