Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My nephew's first pots -

2 posters

Go down

My nephew's first pots - Empty My nephew's first pots -

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:18 pm

So my nephew, decides that he wants to learn how to work in clay and the story begins.

This is clay from a mud volcano, it is very plastic and does have a very small % of sulphur. I gave my Nick [ nephew] a fistful of the dried clay and had him smash it to powder. The clay is very clean, no stones etc. Then I had him weigh out 500 gms and add the left overs from my sifted crushed red earthenware brick stuff. Sifted through a 50 to 60 mesh also 500 gms.

He did the kneading and then I took him to my banding wheel, explaining how to coil and left him to build a design he had drawn, with the idea being to create a shape to his measurements in cm on his image. Easily done in half and hour.
He was so proud of what he had made, he drove his hand through his creation and sat down depressed.

I balled the smashed effort, reconditioned it and he started over to finish in 15 minutes. Glazes are all commercial and scraps left over in containers, just mixed and used. All pots fired to an average of 983 deg.c [ cone 08 orton.] Only the last is vitreous.

Nick's first fired pot - Pot is 11.0 x 6.5 cm

My nephew's first pots - Nick_110

Then he did another to his 2nd drawing. Pot is 8 x 5 cm

My nephew's first pots - Nick_210

and didn't know how to use the little that was left.

So I pinched him pot - 6.5 x 2.5 cm

My nephew's first pots - Nick_310

Then he coiled me a pine pot - 5 x 2.5 cm

My nephew's first pots - Nick_410

This last pot is the same clay but is vitreous at cone 08 and grogged with a 325 mesh powder. It broke and I used layers of glazes to stick it back together, because I liked the pot - size 40 x 18 mm

My nephew's first pots - Nick_510

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

My nephew's first pots - Empty Re: My nephew's first pots -

Post  Jake16 Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Those pots are awesome. I love the fourth (especially the texture) and fifth pot. If you could, I would like to see how he makes the coiled pots.(video)
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Jake,

have you been here -

http://lakesidepottery.com/Pages/Pottery-tips/Making-a-clay-coiled-pot-Lakeside-Pottery-Tutorial.htm

I did a study on African and Amerindian pottery techniques back in 87 or so.

This is the equipment -
A banding wheel attached to a piece of plywood at standing height.

My nephew's first pots - Potter10

A serrated knife -

My nephew's first pots - Potter11

The clay is dug or collected by me, cleaned to beyond 325 mesh [ screen size ] and doctored to dry in a heated kiln [ under 100 deg.c ] for rapid fire. I don't have to wait for x days or even overnight to fire a body.
There is a given amount of pottery science to read up on --- have a library nearby ?
Did chemistry in school ?

Shown before in The Lounge - Blue Egyptian paste Vase, as hard as porcelain, can easily turn a knife blade.[08 cone orton] - showing off am I.

My nephew's first pots - Potter12

Nick will doing slab and carving from a solid lump of clay next.
I will show his results again. He is at school presently, so he does not know I am showing his work. He's a big, quiet guy for a 15 year old.
Later.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down