hydrochloric acid .. is it healthy ?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: hydrochloric acid .. is it healthy ?

Post  coh on Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Anyone interested in using acid to adjust the pH of their water might want to read through this:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-558.html (Alkalinity Control for Irrigation Water Used in Nurseries and Greenhouses)

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:41 pm

In my hard won experience what you need to worry about with water, particularly hard water, is alkalinity. This is completely different than ph, but it is treated also with acid. You can buy and install acid injection systems for treating running water. I'm not sure what acids they recommend but I would look at phosphoric or nitric. I just use rainwater for my trees now.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  efishn on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi All,

it was really helpful what all of u posted here - thank you.

I started to inquire about sulphuric acid in some stores, since i need to down my pH.
they told me that this material comes in concentration of 40% or 96% and more important there is "differences" in the "quality" between
one and another. my question is : dose it matter what kind of sulphuric acid I'll buy for my trees ?

thx
Efi

efishn

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:01 pm

If you're going to go this route, I'd avoid 96% sulfuric acid. That's some dangerous stuff.

Standard battery acid, at least around here, is 35% sulfuric acid. I can walk into any auto parts store and get that. Where have you been looking, what types of stores? My understanding is that is is pure sulfuric acid, just diluted with more water. Not sure what they mean by "differences in quality".

Have you had your water professionally tested? If so, what was the alkalinity? Getting a comprehensive water analysis would really be the first step before you try to mess around with acids.

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  efishn on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:37 pm

coh wrote: Getting a comprehensive water analysis would really be the first step before you try to mess around with acids.

Hi Coh,
you right. i'm planning to test my water in few days. and then we'll see.

about the acid, i talked with wholesaler who sell a lot of varied chemicals. that's what he has 40% or 96%.
i also talked with one retailer, who using the acid 96% every day, and he said "put gloves be careful" Very Happy

thx
Efi

efishn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:23 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum