Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new buzz word...DIVERSITY (a rambling of sort)

4 posters

Go down

The new buzz word...DIVERSITY (a rambling of sort) Empty The new buzz word...DIVERSITY (a rambling of sort)

Post  Poink88 Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:20 pm

At work, diversity is the new buzz word and good too.

There are too many different definitions available but for ME, it boils down to RESPECT, UNDERSTANDING, ACCEPTANCE, and INCLUSION. It doesn't mean forcing yourself or others to do the same...but accept that we are all different in; culture, education, politics, religion, geography, beliefs, orientation, sex, color, health, height, weight, wealth, age, title, social, technology, climate, work, etc., etc., etc.

As we break barriers (like the internet and this forum), the more we inter-mingle with people who see & experience things differently from ours and it can cause conflict. But it shouldn't be that way, it can be (and is) a good thing. As different as we are...we are more similar in many ways than we thought. We do sometimes forget this because we are concentrating on our differences.

Inclusion...everyone have a seat at the table...newbie and masters alike. Masters may have a megaphone but everyone have a voice too! Note that people listen more to the masters (megaphone used or not) but do not dismiss new ideas, it just might have a tinge of merit. I know I listen to my 8 year old daughter...and she corrected me a few times (and I am very proud of her for those instances...not intimidated). Can't we do the same here?

A rainbow will cease to exist if all we have is white, or green, or black....or it won't be the same if we take a color out. We do not want to blend all of them into one muddy color...rather enjoy each different one. If you decide to adapt...changing from red to purple is wonderful! No shame or guilt should go with it.

Just a rambling with the recent (and some not too recent) events I read here where I (most of the time) threw myself in the middle of.

I am not the master of the house, just a guest but I declare to protect this house as if it is my own too (as long as I am permitted).
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

The new buzz word...DIVERSITY (a rambling of sort) Empty Re: The new buzz word...DIVERSITY (a rambling of sort)

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Indeed, we must celebrate the differences! ThumbsUp
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

The new buzz word...DIVERSITY (a rambling of sort) Empty Re: The new buzz word...DIVERSITY (a rambling of sort)

Post  Russell Coker Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:33 pm

... and know when to just back away from the key board
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Russell Coker wrote:

... and know when to just back away from the key board

... and how to take a "hint".

Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down