Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I can really use a good advice on this tree

+6
BonsaiJim
Poink88
0soyoung
Sakaki
JimLewis
Jennyreyn
10 posters

Go down

I can really use a good advice on this tree Empty I can really use a good advice on this tree

Post  Guest Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:53 am

This windswept beech has been bugging me, ever since I started it up many years ago.
When I hold it in my hand and look at, does it seem fairly ok.
But as soon as I take a photo does it look crazy....Far from convincing
first front
I can really use a good advice on this tree Img_1114
next front
I can really use a good advice on this tree Img_1115
photo from the top, and dawn
I can really use a good advice on this tree Img_1116
two photos from the underside
I can really use a good advice on this tree Img_1117
I can really use a good advice on this tree Img_1118
The tree is in good health, and deserve a prettier future....please help with a new design.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

I can really use a good advice on this tree Empty Re: I can really use a good advice on this tree

Post  Jennyreyn Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi Yvonne,
This is a nice little tree and my preference is for the second front. What jars with me are the high roots. Was it grown over a rock at some point? I would love to see it with the roots on a bank of potting soil or a rock, the open roots do not work for me with the windswept style. That said I am no style expert and its just my personal opinion. Its still a nice wee tree - and such tiny leaves for a beech how tall is it?
Jennyreyn
Jennyreyn

Back to top Go down

I can really use a good advice on this tree Empty Re: I can really use a good advice on this tree

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:44 pm

I agree. The roots would be much more attractive with some soil under them so they spread across the surface of the pot. They're already spread enough that planting the tree just a little deeper would do it, I think.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:51 pm

Jennyreyn wrote:Hi Yvonne,
This is a nice little tree and my preference is for the second front. What jars with me are the high roots. Was it grown over a rock at some point? I would love to see it with the roots on a bank of potting soil or a rock, the open roots do not work for me with the windswept style. That said I am no style expert and its just my personal opinion. Its still a nice wee tree - and such tiny leaves for a beech how tall is it?

I agree (with "front" & also "over rock style" suggestion) Smile
I would just tilt the top towards viewer a bit.
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Hi Thanks
When 3 people say, the roots are too high, will i have to do something about it....
The 30 cm tall beech used be growing on a quit massive dark stone, for this skinny tree was it too much, and I took it away....but maybe I should be looking for a much more elegant pale stone now...maybe also a slab would be nice.
But what about the crown?????

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennyreyn Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:03 pm

From the second front option the branch structure is less evident than in the first one so perhaps a bit of wiring to create some space and lengthen them a bit? I find its hard to wire windswept styles with just a few branches but too many spoils the realistic windswept look sometimes. Sorry I'm not being much help now.
Jennyreyn
Jennyreyn

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Your tree's image looks like one cascading from a cliff face (rotate your first picture counter-clockwise by 60 degrees or maybe a bit more). One way to present this would be to plant it in a crescent pot with the roots high up on the side OR find/make a 'pot' that looks like a cliff.

I make no claim of this being good advice - just my emotional reaction.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:43 pm

0soyoung wrote:Your tree's image looks like one cascading from a cliff face (rotate your first picture counter-clockwise by 60 degrees or maybe a bit more). One way to present this would be to plant it in a crescent pot with the roots high up on the side OR find/make a 'pot' that looks like a cliff.

I make no claim of this being good advice - just my emotional reaction.
And I love your suggestions.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  BonsaiJim Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Perhaps extend the branching more so it has more dynamic energy to it? And the roots are incongruous for me too- it would seem if it were in a high wind area the roots would be gnarly and clinging strongly to the ground- not washed out.
BonsaiJim
BonsaiJim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:22 pm

My 2 cents is to pot the tree in a deep training pot and develop the roots. I would train this material as an exposed root style. The top already has a strong direction, so exploit that option too and develop it with branch development on other sides of the trunk as well (but maintaining the direction).

- S

Back to top Go down

Post  -keith- Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:08 pm

i agree with -S the roots need more developement. in my opinion the trunk bend is going the wrong way in accordance to the roots. like in cascade styles the roots should be strongest and most plentiful away from the trunk bend to emphasize the struggle to keep the tree in the ground . i also think a branch lower on the trunk is needed .hoping and staring worked for my windswept maple ,finally after a defol this summer a bud appeared i was sooo happy tongue
-keith-
-keith-

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:08 am

For what it's worth, I don't think you need a new style, just pot the tree in a somewhat deep (semi-cascade) pot (same color). It's actually a unique tree as it is. Nice.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:24 am

Thanks guys

I now have some food for thoughts....More ideas is still welcome....also a virtual of the tree in the future. As it probably is a good idea to grow the tree fatter, and bigger, it will give more crown to work with, and bring the roots closer to the ground.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:59 am

hi,
for me the tree is unbalanced - probably why you are still looking for solutions

the raised roots weaken an image of a strong tree that should clasp the earth and for me the foliage is upside down - the top branch is the widest and strongest with small foliage masses underneath

this was my first thoughts - to increase lower growth, shorten top growth and repot lower
I can really use a good advice on this tree Img_1110

just one idea of many though Very Happy

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:34 am

Hi Marcus

There is a lot of good points in your virtual...it is probably the solution I shall work towards.

For now will I place the tree lower in a big container, and feed it up, while shaping the crown the other way, as it look better...and a new suitable pot after some years

Many thanks...Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Yvonne,
I can not advise, but just want to say it looks a bit like a hand playing the piano....
I can see it looks very nice to me already.
Good luck with it!
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down