Juniperus | spreading vs upright

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Juniperus | spreading vs upright

Post  chadley999 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:45 pm

Is my understanding correct that most bonsai are made from spreading juniper over the upright varieties? I will be picking up a juniperus sabina soon but i was wondering if it would be worth my time to try with a juniperus scopulorum.

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Re: Juniperus | spreading vs upright

Post  JimLewis on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:52 pm

In my experience we have used virtually every shape of juniper as starting material for bonsai. We look at the tree (in nature or in a nursery pot) and simply decide if we seen a potential bonsai there. MOST -- but not all by any means -- juniper bonsai are probably Juniperus chinensis, and they come in all shapes.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  EpicusMaximus on Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:13 am

I don't know much about Junipers, and the first 2 trees I bought (a few months ago) were discounted junipers from a nursery because nobody wanted them. They were pretty ugly and still are, and I don't even know if my Sabina is alive. The label says it's a Sabina Arcadia and it's zoned 2a which is excellent for my location (zone 3).

I happen to have a picture of the trunk, but you can't really see whatever foliage there is. And in the background, the other juniper, a Danube.

I have 0 technique, but maybe it could be a raft style, one day, if it's alive? lol

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:45 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum