Winter protection of large cycad. SE UK.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Winter protection of large cycad. SE UK.

Post  Justin_ on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:02 pm

A cycas revoluta I've owned for twenty years is now too big to bring into the unheated conservatory where it has always spent the winter. I know they can cope with colder temperatures than the usual cut-and-paste advice on the net suggests, but would it be ok in a garage or even left outside but covered with fleece or bubble wrap? I've seen pictures of landscape cycads in Japan wrapped in rice straw for the winter, but is that more to protect them from the weight of snow than the cold? I've also seen some planted outdoors at Kew, but those were in the shelter of a corner wall.

Justin_

Back to top Go down

Re: Winter protection of large cycad. SE UK.

Post  Kev Bailey on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:23 am

Mine has survived for twenty years including two severe winters in an unheated greenhouse. I'd try to rig something that will protect from too much winter wet and mulch heavily to prevent the important surface roots being damaged by heavy frosts.

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin_ on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks for the tips, Kev. I've got some old windows that I can build a shelter from.

Justin_

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:54 pm

if the pot will go through the door the plant should - i have to bind the foliage up on some of my trees to get them in the greenhouse (i'd love a double door greenhouse or polytunnel) so cant you just tie all the fronds up like they bind christmas trees?

sounds a lovely plant, any picks?

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain on Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:53 am

Cycas revolutra is the easiest of them all. In Johannesburg, which gets frost, they only protect them with a fleece, and thick mulch as Kev adviced. Anyway if it do get frost it will only shed its foliage!

For interest sake it is not a Cycad. Cycads belong to the Encephelartos family.

Its a Cycas along with the Dioons of the Americas.

Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:54 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum